Chelating agents or chelators, are chemical compounds that form a water-soluble and stable complex by reacting with metal ions. These agents are eco-friendly and cost-effective in nature due to which they find numerous applications across various sectors. Chelating agents are used for rearranging chemical composition and improving general stability of a metal to bond with other substances. Apart from this, they help in decreasing the toxic effects which are produced by metals and in controlling heavy metal poisoning in the human body. A new research report by IMARC Group, titled “Chelating Agents Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2018-2023”, estimates that the market was worth US$ 5 Billion in 2017. The report further anticipates the market to cross US$ 6 Billion by 2023, at a projected CAGR of nearly 4% over the forecast period.
Global Chelating Agents Market Drivers/Constraints:
- Chelating agents are being increasingly used in the pulp and paper industry for various purposes such as decreasing brightness reversion, mechanical pulp bleaching and chemical pulping. This is one of the major factors which is driving the market growth.
- The growth opportunities for chelating agents have been expanding over the past few years on account of rapid urbanisation and industrialisation due to which governments of various nations have implemented stringent regulations and policies for the provision of fresh and clean water.
- Increasing disposable incomes, continuous product innovations, as well as advancements in technologies are some of the other factors which are indirectly propelling the growth of the market.
- There has been an increase in the usage of nonbiodegradable chelating agents including EDTA. This acts as a major hindrance which has been impeding the growth of the global chelating agents market.
On the basis of type, the market has been segmented into aminopolycarboxylic acid (APCA), sodium gluconate, organophosphonate and others. Amongst these, aminopolycarboxylic acid represents the largest segment as it can be used in numerous household and industrial applications.
Based on application, the market has been segregated into pulp and paper, household and industrial cleaning, water treatment, agrochemicals, and personal care. Currently, pulp and paper dominate the market owing to an increasing demand for tissue and graphic papers.
On a geographical front, Asia-Pacific represents the major region in the global chelating agents market accounting for the majority of the share. This can be attributed to the continuously expanding production capacity and manufacturing costs as well as an increase in the demand for clean and treated water, and processed food across the region. Asia-Pacific is followed by North America, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East and Africa.
The market is fragmented with the presence of numerous small and large manufacturers who compete in terms of prices and quality. Some of the leading players operating in the market are:
- AkzoNobel NA
- Archer Daniels Midland Company
- Kemira Oyj
- DOW Chemical Company
IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
IMARC’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
Follow us on twitter: @imarcglobal