Starch blended biodegradable polymers are made by combining starch and its derivatives with certain synthetic polymers via physical blending or chemical modification. These polymers have the biodegradability of starch as well as the physical properties of synthetic polymers. After polylactic acid (PLA), starch based biodegradable polymers currently represent the second-largest category of biodegradable polymers. A new research report by IMARC Group, titled “Starch Blended Biodegradable Polymer Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2018-2023”, estimates that the market reached a volume of around 314 Thousand Tons in 2017. The report further anticipates the market to reach a volume of 588 Thousand Tons by 2023, at a projected CAGR of 11% over the forecast period.
Global Starch Blended Biodegradable Polymer Market Drivers/Constraints:
- The major demand driver fuelling the growth of the starch blended biodegradable polymer market is their extensive use in various applications such as food packaging, agriculture etc.
- Owing to their declining costs, the use of starch blended biodegradable polymers has surpassed that of synthetic polymers. This is anticipated to propel the growth of the starch blended biodegradable polymers market globally.
- In addition, the lower price and greater availability of starch coupled with its environment-friendly profile has made it as a viable alternative to petrochemical-based polymers. This is spurring the demand for starch blended biodegradable polymers worldwide.
- The stringent regulations by the government regarding the production of these polymers will impede the market growth.
- Apart from starch blended polymers, there are various other biodegradable polymers which can substitute these polymers in their applications, thereby posing a threat to the market growth.
On the basis of end-use, flexible packaging represents the largest and fastest growing segment as these polymers are used in manufacturing food packaging and edible films which are odourless, tasteless, colourless, non-toxic and biodegradable. Other major segments include agriculture, rigid packaging and consumer goods.
Product Type Insights:
Based on product type, the market has been categorised into biodegradable starch and durable starch. Currently, biodegradable starch dominates the market, accounting for the majority of the market share.
On the basis of region, Europe currently accounts for the majority of the total global market share, representing the leading market. In this region, starch blended biodegradable polymers are used in the form of microsphere or hydrogel to deliver drugs in the healthcare sector. Other major markets include Asia-Pacific and North America.
The market is highly fragmented with the presence of numerous small and large manufacturers who compete in terms of price and quality. Some of the leading players operating in the market are:
- Wuhan Huali
- Nihon Cornstarch Corporation
- Plantic Technologies
- Lactel Absorbable Polymers
- Balson Industries
IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
IMARC’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
Follow us on twitter: @imarcglobal