The global calcium chloride market reached a value of US$ 1.3 Billion in 2017, registering a CAGR of 5.8% during 2010-2017. The market is further projected to reach a value of about US$ 1.8 Billion by 2023, at a CAGR of 5.5% during 2018-2023. Calcium chloride, with the chemical formula CaCl2, is a salt created from the ionic bond between chlorine and calcium. This inorganic compound occurs in the form of beads and its colour ranges from white to off-white. Calcium chloride is hygroscopic in nature owing to which it is kept in airtight containers and used as a drying agent. It finds a wide range of applications in industries such as agriculture, paint, rubber, medicine, food preservation, transportation, etc.
Global Calcium Chloride Market Drivers:
- Calcium chloride is widely used in the food industry for cheese production, beer brewing, meat tenderization, and as a firming agent in canned vegetables and fruits. Rising global population along with increasing income levels of the consumers is fuelling the growth of the food industry, thereby stimulating the sales of calcium chloride.
- Due to the deliquescent nature of calcium chloride, it absorbs moisture from the air and creates a thin liquid coating on each dust particle which adds density to the roadway. Thereby, calcium chloride plays a vital role as a maintenance material for haul roads in mining applications.
- Calcium chloride acts as an effective accelerator in the concrete industry. Concrete hydration process slows down in low temperatures due to which an accelerator is required to obtain high initial strength. The use of calcium chloride assists in reaching the concrete's desired strength by accelerating its hydration process.
- Calcium chloride is electrolytic in nature, which implies liberation of calcium ion in presence of water. This process increases the mineral content (calcium ion) in water and provides a controlled source of calcium, which creates a direct impact on the taste of drinking water. Moreover, addition of calcium chloride reduces the erosion of concrete in the pool by common ion effect and increases water hardness in the pool.
- Construction of roads, highways, pools in individual houses, office buildings and shopping arcades have risen at a high rate in the recent years. Since calcium chloride is widely used in the construction area as a dust controlling agent, growth in the construction activities has resulted into a heightened demand for calcium chloride.
- Depleting conventional gas resources and maturing existing hydrocarbon resources have shifted the focus towards unexplored reservoirs of oil and gas to keep pace with the growing demand. This is boosting the consumption of calcium chloride as it is an essential raw material used in drilling fluids.
Breakup by Product Type:
On the basis of product type, the market has been divided into hydrated solid, anhydrous solid and liquor. Amongst these, liquor majorly finds application in refrigeration fluid, at ice skating rinks and on roads as a dust palliative. Hydrated and anhydrous solids are used as a de-icing agent on roads, pavements and sidewalks in winters as they depress the freezing point of water and prevent ice formation.
Breakup by Application:
Based on application, de-icing represents the largest application area, followed by dust control and road stabilization, drilling fluids, construction and industrial processing. Calcium chloride is used for de-icing as it melts ice faster in comparison to other de-icers such as sodium chloride, sand and abrasives.
Breakup by Raw Material:
The market has also been segregated on the basis of raw material into natural brine, Solvay process (by-product), and limestone and hydrochloric acid. Currently, natural brine accounts for nearly half of the total market share. Calcium chloride is refined from naturally occurring brines such as salt lakes and salt deposits. This method is preferred by the manufacturers as it is cost-effective and causes less impact on the environment.
Breakup by Grade Type:
Based on grade type, the report finds that food grade calcium chloride dominates the market, accounting for around two-thirds of the total share. Calcium chloride is used as a firming agent in ready-to-eat food products and as an additive in food preservation.
On a geographical front, North America enjoys the leading position in the global calcium chloride market. Calcium chloride is used for de-icing, wastewater treatment, dust control and food processing applications in the region. North America is followed by Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East and Africa, and Latin America.
The market is concentrated with the presence of small number of manufacturers. The strong distribution network of large calcium chloride companies and capital-intensive nature of the industry limit the threat from new entrants. Some of the leading players operating in the market are:
- Occidental Petroleum Corp. (OxyChem)
- Tetra Chemicals
- B. J. Services
- Solvay S.A.
- Tangshan Sanyou Group Co., Ltd.
The report provides a comprehensive insight into the global calcium chloride industry including its market break-up by region, market breakup by end-uses, SWOT analysis, Porter’s five forces analysis, value chain analysis, import and export trends, key players and market outlook. The report also gives an insight into the manufacturing process of calcium chloride, covering key success and risk factors for manufacturers, manufacturing process flow, the reactions involved, raw materials requirements, etc.
The essential aspects of the global calcium chloride market evaluated in the report include:
- Market trends
- Major regions
- Key application areas
- Popular product types
- Major grade types
- Key manufacturers
- Price trends
- Raw material requirements
- Chemical reactions involved in the manufacturing process
- Major importers and exporters
- Value chain analysis
- Market trends for major feedstocks
- Price trends for major feedstocks
- Key regions for major feedstocks
- Key players for major feedstocks