The global dimethyl carbonate market size reached US$ 1.1 Billion in 2023. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 2.0 Billion by 2032, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 7.3% during 2024-2032. The augmenting demand for safe, low-toxicity, and biodegradable solvents, the growing adoption of DMC as a solvent in the extraction of active pharmaceutical ingredients, and the increasing demand for lithium-ion batteries in numerous end-use industries represent some of the key factors driving the market.
Market Size in 2023
|US$ 1.1 Billion
Market Forecast in 2032
|US$ 2.0 Billion
|Market Growth Rate 2024-2032
Dimethyl carbonate or DMC (chemical formula C3H6O3) is a carbonic acid with methyl groups replacing both hydrogens. The organic compound is synthesized by reacting carbon monoxide with methanol. DMC is characterized by a colorless nature, minimal toxicity, and an ester-like mild, sweet odor. In addition to this, it is miscible with water and most organic solvents while being readily biodegradable. DMC has a low vapor pressure and high boiling point, making it safer to handle than other highly volatile solvents. As a result, it is widely employed as a low-cost and eco-friendly alternative to methyl halides (or dimethyl sulfate) and phosgene in the carbonylation and methylation processes. DMC is primarily used as a solvent and reagent in producing various chemicals and products, including pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and electronics. It is also used as a fuel additive to reduce emissions from diesel engines.
Dimethyl Carbonate Market Trends:
The global market is primarily driven by the augmenting demand for safe, low-toxicity, and biodegradable solvents in various industrial applications. This can be attributed to the rising environmental concerns propelling the demand for eco-friendly solvents. In line with this, with the growing adoption of consumer electronics, such as laptops and smartphones, the demand for lithium-ion batteries is increasing, which is providing an impetus to the market. Moreover, the growing adoption of DMC as a solvent in the extraction of active pharmaceutical ingredients as well as in the formulation of antibiotics, sedatives, and antihistamines is fueling the market. Besides this, favorable government initiatives limiting the usage of traditional solvents and promoting the use of eco-friendly variants are also creating a positive market outlook. The market is further fueled by the rapid product utilization in the manufacturing of versatile polycarbonate products. Apart from this, considerable growth in the construction and infrastructure development projects is resulting in a higher uptake of DMC for various applications. Furthermore, a considerable rise in the sales of electric vehicles (EVs) is acting as another significant growth-inducing factor for the market. Some of the other factors contributing to the market include rapid industrialization, the escalating demand for pharmaceuticals, particularly in emerging economies, continual innovations in renewable energy storage systems, and extensive research and development (R&D) activities.
Key Market Segmentation:
IMARC Group provides an analysis of the key trends in each segment of the global dimethyl carbonate market, along with forecasts at the global, regional, and country levels from 2024-2032. Our report has categorized the market based on grade, application, and end use industry.
- Industry Grade
- Pharmaceutical Grade
- Battery Grade
The report has provided a detailed breakup and analysis of the dimethyl carbonate market based on the grade. This includes industry grade, pharmaceutical grade, and battery grade. According to the report, industry grade represented the largest segment.
- Polycarbonate Synthesis
- Battery Electrolyte
The report has provided a detailed breakup and analysis of the dimethyl carbonate market based on the application. This includes polycarbonate synthesis, battery electrolyte, solvents, reagents, and others. According to the report, polycarbonate synthesis represented the largest segment.
End Use Industry Insights:
- Paints and Coating
A detailed breakup and analysis of the dimethyl carbonate market based on the end use industry has also been provided in the report. This includes plastics, paints and coating, pharmaceutical, electronics, agrochemicals, and others. According to the report, plastics accounted for the largest market share.
- North America
- United Kingdom
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The report has also provided a comprehensive analysis of all the major regional markets, which include North America (the United States and Canada); Europe (Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, and others); Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, and others); Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and others); and the Middle East and Africa. According to the report, Asia Pacific was the largest market for dimethyl carbonate. Some of the factors driving the Asia Pacific dimethyl carbonate market included rapid industrialization, presence of several key players, rising environmental concerns, augmenting demand for lithium-ion batteries, etc.
The report has also provided a comprehensive analysis of the competitive landscape in the global dimethyl carbonate market. Competitive analysis such as market structure, market share by key players, player positioning, top winning strategies, competitive dashboard, and company evaluation quadrant has been covered in the report. Also, detailed profiles of all major companies have been provided. Some of the companies covered include Connect Chemicals GmbH, Kishida Chemical Co. Ltd., Kowa Company Ltd., Merck KGaA, Qingdao Aspirit Chemical Co. Ltd., Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Tokyo Chemical Industry, UBE Corporation, etc. Kindly note that this only represents a partial list of companies, and the complete list has been provided in the report.
|Base Year of the Analysis
||Industry Grade, Pharmaceutical Grade, Battery Grade
||Polycarbonate Synthesis, Battery Electrolyte, Solvents, Reagents, Others
|End Use Industries Covered
||Plastics, Paints and Coating, Pharmaceutical, Electronics, Agrochemicals, Others
|| Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East and Africa
||United States, Canada, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico
||Connect Chemicals GmbH, Kishida Chemical Co. Ltd., Kowa Company Ltd., Merck KGaA, Qingdao Aspirit Chemical Co. Ltd., Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Tokyo Chemical Industry, UBE Corporation, etc.
||10% Free Customization
|Report Price and Purchase Option
||Single User License: US$ 2499
Five User License: US$ 3499
Corporate License: US$ 4499
|Post-Sale Analyst Support
||PDF and Excel through Email (We can also provide the editable version of the report in PPT/Word format on special request)
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the global dimethyl carbonate market performed so far, and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the global dimethyl carbonate market?
- What is the impact of each driver, restraint, and opportunity on the global dimethyl carbonate market?
- What are the key regional markets?
- Which countries represent the most attractive dimethyl carbonate market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the grade?
- Which is the most attractive grade in the dimethyl carbonate market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the application?
- Which is the most attractive application in the dimethyl carbonate market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the end use industry?
- Which is the most attractive end use industry in the dimethyl carbonate market?
- What is the competitive structure of the global dimethyl carbonate market?
- Who are the key players/companies in the global dimethyl carbonate market?
Key Benefits for Stakeholders:
- IMARC’s report offers a comprehensive quantitative analysis of various market segments, historical and current market trends, market forecasts, and dynamics of the dimethyl carbonate market from 2018-2032.
- The research study provides the latest information on the market drivers, challenges, and opportunities in the global dimethyl carbonate market.
- The study maps the leading, as well as the fastest-growing, regional markets. It further enables stakeholders to identify the key country-level markets within each region.
- Porter's five forces analysis assist stakeholders in assessing the impact of new entrants, competitive rivalry, supplier power, buyer power, and the threat of substitution. It helps stakeholders to analyze the level of competition within the dimethyl carbonate industry and its attractiveness.
- Competitive landscape allows stakeholders to understand their competitive environment and provides an insight into the current positions of key players in the market.