The global Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs market size reached US$ 2.04 Billion in 2022. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 4.00 Billion by 2028, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 11.41% during 2023-2028. The rising prevalence of Duchenne muscular dystrophy among the masses, the increasing number of new product approvals and launches, and favorable government initiatives providing good reimbursement policies, along with promoting target-specific treatments, represent some of the key factors driving the market.
Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) drugs are utilized to treat a severe X-linked genetic disorder of a progressive form of muscular dystrophy that primarily affects the male population, and rarely females as well. The symptoms of this disorder include difficulty walking, standing, and sitting, as well as speech difficulties, which can result in progressive weakness and loss, also known as atrophy, in the skeletal and heart muscles. The DMD drugs enhance cardiac and pulmonary functions in patients by targeting cardiac and skeletal muscles. Dystrophin is a key protein that maintains muscular integrity, and its absence or abnormality causes DMD. As a result, most of the drugs for the treatment of DMD are dystrophin-based. Some of the other primary treatment strategies for DMD also include genetic therapies linked to specific mutations which restore dystrophin production, membrane stabilization or upregulation of compensatory proteins, and a reduction of the inflammatory cascade and/or enhancement of muscle regeneration.
Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Drugs Market Trends:
The rising number of new product approvals and launches by the major manufacturers is a significant factor driving the growth of the market. This can be attributed to the growing incidences of Duchenne muscular dystrophy among the masses. In line with this, a considerable rise in clinical trials, along with the presence of strong pipeline of products, is providing an impetus to the market. Moreover, the advent of mutation-specific therapies due to continual innovations in diagnostics is also impacting the market positively. Besides this, extensive research and development (R&D) activities focusing on accurate diagnosis and treatment of DMD for underserved categories, such as infants, females, and nonambulant patients, are propelling the market. However, the shortage of standardized procedures for the examination of the clinical efficacy of drugs, delayed diagnosis and prediction, and the rising costs of genetic therapeutics are acting as growth-restraining factors for the market. On the contrary, favorable government initiatives providing good reimbursement policies, along with promoting target-specific treatments, are contributing to the market growth. Some of the other factors creating lucrative growth opportunities in the market include rapid urbanization, improving medical infrastructure, emerging trend of product premiumization, and inflating disposable incomes of the masses.
Key Market Segmentation:
IMARC Group provides an analysis of the key trends in each segment of the global Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs market, along with forecasts at the global, regional, and country level from 2023-2028. Our report has categorized the market based on product type, therapeutic approach, and end user.
Product Type Insights:
- Pain Management Drugs
The report has provided a detailed breakup and analysis of the Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs market based on the product type. This includes corticosteroids (prednisolone, prednisone and deflazacort) and pain management drugs. According to the report, corticosteroids represented the largest segment.
Therapeutic Approach Insights:
- Mutation Suppression
- Exon Skipping
- Steroid Therapy
The report has provided a detailed breakup and analysis of the Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs market based on the therapeutic approach. This includes mutation suppression, exon skipping, and steroid therapy. According to the report, exon skipping represented the largest segment.
End User Insights:
- Home Care Settings
A detailed breakup and analysis of the Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs market based on the end user has also been provided in the report. This includes hospitals, clinics, and home care settings. According to the report, hospitals accounted for the largest market share.
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The report has also provided a comprehensive analysis of all the major regional markets that include North America (the United States and Canada); Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, and others); Europe (Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, and others); Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and others); and the Middle East and Africa. According to the report, North America was the largest market for Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs. Some of the factors driving the North America Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs market include the rising number of new product approvals and launches, continual improvements in medical infrastructure, and the presence of several key players in the country.
The report has also provided a comprehensive analysis of the competitive landscape in the global Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs market. Detailed profiles of all major companies have also been provided. Some of the companies covered include FibroGen Inc., Italfarmaco S.p.A., NS Pharma Inc. (Nippon Shinyaku Co. Ltd.), PTC Therapeutics Inc., Santhera Pharmaceuticals, Sarepta Therapeutics Inc., etc. Kindly note that this only represents a partial list of companies, and the complete list has been provided in the report.
|Base Year of the Analysis
| Historical Period
||Product Type, Therapeutic Approach, End User, Region
|| Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East and Africa
||United States, Canada, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico
||FibroGen Inc., Italfarmaco S.p.A., NS Pharma Inc. (Nippon Shinyaku Co. Ltd.), PTC Therapeutics Inc., Santhera Pharmaceuticals, Sarepta Therapeutics Inc., etc.
||10% Free Customization
|Report Price and Purchase Option
||Single User License: US$ 2499
Five User License: US$ 3499
Corporate License: US$ 4499
|Post-Sale Analyst Support
||PDF and Excel through Email (We can also provide the editable version of the report in PPT/Word format on special request)
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the global Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the global Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs market?
- What are the key regional markets?
- Which countries represent the most attractive Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs markets?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the product type?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the therapeutic approach?
- What is the breakup of the market based on end user?
- What is the competitive structure of the global Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs market?
- Who are the key players/companies in the global Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs market?
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- IMARC’s report offers a comprehensive quantitative analysis of various market segments, historical and current market trends, market forecasts, and dynamics of the Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs market from 2017-2028.
- The research study provides the latest information on the market drivers, challenges, and opportunities in the global Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs market.
- The study maps the leading as well as the fastest growing regional markets. It further enables stakeholders to identify the key country-level markets within each region.
- Porter's five forces analysis assist stakeholders in assessing the impact of new entrants, competitive rivalry, supplier power, buyer power, and the threat of substitution. It helps stakeholders to analyze the level of competition within the Duchenne muscular dystrophy drugs industry and its attractiveness.
- Competitive landscape allows stakeholders to understand their competitive environment and provides an insight into the current positions of key players in the market.