The global EPA & DHA market size reached US$ 1,756.2 Million in 2022. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 2,661.3 Million by 2028, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 6.9% during 2023-2028. The increasing consumer awareness about the health benefits of omega-3 fatty acids, rising demand for functional foods and supplements, and the growing prevalence of sustainable and eco-friendly sourcing practices in the fishing industry represent some of the key factors driving the market.
EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) refer to long-chain polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids with similar chemical structures that are essential for human health. Usually found in fatty fish, such as salmon, mackerel, sardines and algae, EPA and DHA are not synthesized by the human body and must be obtained through diet or supplementation. EPA and DHA from fish and supplements are highly bioavailable, therefore they are absorbed by the human body relatively easily and can be incorporated into cell membranes and other structures where they are needed. EPA and DHA are important for brain function and development as they protect against cognitive decline and their anti-inflammatory properties help to reduce the risk of chronic diseases, such as heart disease, cholesterol, and arthritis. In addition to this, EPA and DHA are important for regulating the immune system, benefitting skin health and minimizing the risks of age-related macular degeneration.
EPA & DHA Market Trends:
The global market is majorly driven by the augmenting demand for supplements and functional foods containing EPA and DHA. This can be attributed to the rising incidences of chronic diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, and cancer among the masses, particularly the geriatric population. In line with this, the increasing awareness among consumers regarding health and fitness is also propelling the demand for EPA and DHA fortified foods. Moreover, the increasing usage of EPA and DHA in infant formula and pet food is creating lucrative growth opportunities in the market. Besides this, continual technological advancements in the processing techniques enabling manufacturers to produce high-purity and high-concentration EPA and DHA supplements and functional foods are providing an impetus to the market. The growing adoption of plant-based vegan diets among the consumer base is resulting in a higher uptake of plant-based sources of EPA and DHA, such as algae-based supplements and foods. The market is further fueled by the paradigm shift in regulations and labeling requirements for food and supplements, resulting in companies adjusting their formulations and marketing strategies to comply with new rules. Some of the other factors contributing to the market include rapid urbanization, growing prevalence of sustainable and eco-friendly sourcing practices in the fishing industry, inflating disposable income levels, and extensive research and development (R&D) activities conducted by the key players.
Key Market Segmentation:
IMARC Group provides an analysis of the key trends in each segment of the global EPA & DHA market, along with forecasts at the global, regional, and country levels from 2023-2028. Our report has categorized the market based on type, source and application.
- Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA)
- Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)
The report has provided a detailed breakup and analysis of the EPA & DHA market based on the type. This includes Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA). According to the report, Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) represented the largest segment.
- Fish Oil
- Algae Oil
- Krill Oil
The report has provided a detailed breakup and analysis of the EPA & DHA market based on the source. This includes fish oil, algae oil, krill oil, and others. According to the report, fish oil represented the largest segment.
- Infant Formulae
- Dietary Supplements
- Fortified Food and Beverages
A detailed breakup and analysis of the EPA & DHA market based on the application has also been provided in the report. This includes infant formulae, dietary supplements, fortified food and beverages, pharmaceuticals, and others. According to the report, dietary supplements accounted for the largest market share.
- North America
- United Kingdom
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The report has also provided a comprehensive analysis of all the major regional markets, which include North America (the United States and Canada); Europe (Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, and others); Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, and others); Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and others); and the Middle East and Africa. According to the report, Asia Pacific was the largest market for EPA & DHA. Some of the factors driving the Asia Pacific EPA & DHA market included the growing geriatric population, continual technological advancements in sustainable fishing practices, increasing awareness regarding health and fitness, etc.
The report has also provided a comprehensive analysis of the competitive landscape in the global EPA & DHA market. Competitive analysis such as market structure, market share by key players, player positioning, top winning strategies, competitive dashboard, and company evaluation quadrant has been covered in the report. Also, detailed profiles of all major companies have been provided. Some of the companies covered include AlgiSy BioSciences Inc., Arctic Nutrition AG, BASF SE, Biosearch Sau, Corbion NV, Croda International PLC, KD Pharma Group, Koninklijke DSM NV, Nordic Naturals Inc, Novasep Holding SAS, Novotech Nutraceuticals Inc, Omega Protein Corporation, Polaris, etc. Kindly note that this only represents a partial list of companies, and the complete list has been provided in the report.
|Base Year of the Analysis
||Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA), Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)
||Fish Oil, Algae Oil, Krill Oil, Others
||Infant Formulae, Dietary Supplements, Fortified Food and Beverages, Pharmaceuticals, Others
|| Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East and Africa
||United States, Canada, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico
||AlgiSy BioSciences Inc., Arctic Nutrition AG, BASF SE, Biosearch Sau, Corbion NV, Croda International PLC, KD Pharma Group, Koninklijke DSM NV, Nordic Naturals Inc, Novasep Holding SAS, Novotech Nutraceuticals Inc, Omega Protein Corporation, Polaris, etc.
||10% Free Customization
|Report Price and Purchase Option
||Single User License: US$ 2499
Five User License: US$ 3499
Corporate License: US$ 4499
|Post-Sale Analyst Support
||PDF and Excel through Email (We can also provide the editable version of the report in PPT/Word format on special request)
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the global EPA & DHA market performed so far, and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the global EPA & DHA market?
- What is the impact of each driver, restraint, and opportunity on the global EPA & DHA market?
- What are the key regional markets?
- Which countries represent the most attractive EPA & DHA market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the type?
- Which is the most attractive type in the EPA & DHA market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the source?
- Which is the most attractive source in the EPA & DHA market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on application?
- Which is the most attractive application in the EPA & DHA market?
- What is the competitive structure of the global EPA & DHA market?
- Who are the key players/companies in the global EPA & DHA market?
Key Benefits for Stakeholders:
- IMARC’s report offers a comprehensive quantitative analysis of various market segments, historical and current market trends, market forecasts, and dynamics of the EPA & DHA market from 2017-2028.
- The research study provides the latest information on the market drivers, challenges, and opportunities in the global EPA & DHA market.
- The study maps the leading, as well as the fastest-growing, regional markets. It further enables stakeholders to identify the key country-level markets within each region.
- Porter's five forces analysis assist stakeholders in assessing the impact of new entrants, competitive rivalry, supplier power, buyer power, and the threat of substitution. It helps stakeholders to analyze the level of competition within the EPA & DHA industry and its attractiveness.
- Competitive landscape allows stakeholders to understand their competitive environment and provides an insight into the current positions of key players in the market.