According to the latest report by IMARC Group, titled “GCC Pet Food Market: Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2022-2027”, the GCC pet food market size reached US$ 222.9 Million in 2021. Pet food refers to a highly nutritious and energy-dense food product which is manufactured to meet the nutritional requirements of pets. It is prepared using several ingredients such as meat, feed grain, seafood and poultry. Owing to the increasing owners’ awareness and rising pet humanization trend, pet parents are now treating their pets as a part of their family. This has improved the relationship between the owners and their pets, in turn, spurring the demand for pet food products across the region.
Owning a pet is considered as a status symbol in different countries of the GCC region like the UAE, especially among the high-income earners. This, coupled with factors like urbanization and the emerging trend of nuclear families, has resulted in the increasing sales of pets in the region. Apart from this, the demand for pet food is also being influenced by the altering perceptions of citizens towards pet ownership. Further, manufacturers are adopting improved production techniques to retain the essential nutrients that are lost while processing. They are also launching premium product varieties, such as multigrain, grain-free, gluten-free and protein-specific pet food, to cater to the individual requirements of various pets. Looking forward, the market value is projected to reach US$ 328.4 Million by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of 6.5% during 2022-2027.
- Based on the pet type, the GCC pet food market has been classified into dog food, cat food and others. At present, cat food accounts for majority of the total regional market.
- The market has also been segregated on the basis of the product type which includes dry food, wet and canned food, and snacks and treats. Amongst these, dry food dominates the market and represents the leading segment.
- On the basis of the ingredient type, pet food prepared using animal derivatives holds the dominant segment. Other ingredient types include plant and cereal derivatives.
- Based on the distribution channel, the market has been divided into convenience stores, supermarkets and hypermarkets, online stores, and others. Presently, convenience stores account for majority of the market share as they offer a wide range of products to consumers.
- Region-wise, the market has been segmented into the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman and Bahrain. Currently, the UAE is the biggest market, holding majority of the total regional market.
IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
IMARC’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
Follow us on twitter : @imarcglobal