According to the latest report by IMARC Group, titled “Airport Passenger Screening Systems Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2018-2023”, the global airport passenger screening systems market reached a value of more than US$ 2 Billion in 2017. At airports, passengers have to undergo stringent security procedures before boarding their respective flights. These procedures include a pat-down search along with passenger and luggage screening systems. The screening systems are used for detecting both metallic and non-metallic items which can pose any kind of threat. Currently, airports have started to replace aging technology systems by employing CT imaging scanners. These systems are gradually setting optimum safety and security standards as they enable the passengers to carry electronics and liquids in their bags as well as are capable of identifying potential threats.
Over the past few years, in developing regions, there has been a rapid growth in the middle-class population which has given a rise to the number of people opting for air travel and the requirement for better passenger screening systems. In addition to this, there are numerous security threats being posed across the globe which have compelled airports to adopt advanced technologies so as to screen passengers for non-metallic weapons and explosives. These technologies have enabled the airports to assure optimum security and safety of passengers as well as their staff members. Moreover, the growth of the market is being driven by several initiatives taken by various authorities to ensure minimal inconvenience for the passengers such as the Smart Security initiative. This has been introduced by the Airports Council International (ACI) and International Air Transport Association (IATA) for the purpose of launching risk-based security concepts and advanced screening technologies. However, the high cost for installation and maintenance of these systems currently acts as a hindrance for the growth of the global airport passenger screening systems market. Looking forward, the market value is projected to reach nearly US$ 3 Billion by 2023, expanding at a CAGR of more than 4% during 2018-2023.
- The airport passenger screening systems market has been segmented on the basis of product which mainly include passenger screening and carry-on baggage screening. Currently, passenger screening systems represent the most popular passenger screening system being used in airports.
- On the basis of technology, the market has been segregated into metal and explosive detection systems, and advanced imaging systems. Metal and explosive detection systems hold the majority of the market share.
- Presently, there are two major end-use industries in which airport passenger screening systems are being used including civil airports and military airports. Civil airports represent the largest segment.
- On a regional-basis, Asia Pacific exhibits a clear dominance in the global airport passenger screening systems market. This is due to an increase in the number of investments being made to expand airport terminals as well as introduction of several projects for constructing new airports across the region. Asia Pacific is followed by Europe, North America, Middle East and Africa, and Latin America.
- The competitive landscape of the market has also been examined with some of the key players being Analogic Corporation, CEIA, Cobalt Light Systems, Garrett Metal Detectors, Ketech Systems Ltd., Kromek Group PLC., L-3 Security & Detection Systems Inc., Morpho Detection Inc., Optosecurity Inc., Rapiscan System Ltd., Reveal Imaging Technologies Inc. and Smiths Detection.
IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
IMARC’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
Follow us on twitter: @imarcglobal