According to the latest report by IMARC Group, titled "Antibiotics Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2022-2027," the global antibiotics market reached a value of US$ 47.4 Billion in 2021. Antibiotics refer to antimicrobial substances that assist in combating bacterial and protozoan infections. They include a group of medicines that inhibit the growth of microorganisms in order to prevent the replication of parasites. Generally administered orally in the form of pills, tablets, liquids, and capsules, there are numerous classes of antibiotics that are based on their mode of action, chemical structures and spectrum of activity. They can also be available as creams, ointments, sprays, and lotions that are commonly applied on the skin for treating acne and related skin conditions. Some of the widely prescribed antibiotics include penicillin, cephalosporin and fluoroquinolone that can be used in the treatment of sinus infections, pneumonia, urinary tract infections, skin infections and ear infections.
We are regularly tracking the direct effect of COVID-19 on the market, along with the indirect influence of associated industries. These observations will be integrated into the report.
Global Antibiotics Market Trends:
The global market is majorly driven by the rising prevalence of infectious diseases across the globe. The increasing occurrences of malaria, tuberculosis and pneumonia have contributed to the rising demand for antibiotics. Moreover, with the easy availability of generic medicines and the growing number of surgical procedures being conducted on the global level, there has been a considerable rise in the demand for antibiotics. The market is further driven by the widespread product applications in livestock farming for safeguarding animal health and welfare while supporting food safety. Some of the other factors contributing to the market growth include the continual investments for developing novel treatments of various medical conditions and extensive research and development activities conducted by key players to introduce antibiotics with improved efficacy. On account of the aforementioned factors, the market is anticipated to grow at a CAGR of
4.4% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
- On the basis of the action mechanism, the market has been divided into cell wall synthesis inhibitors, protein synthesis inhibitors, DNA synthesis inhibitors, RNA synthesis inhibitors, mycolic acid inhibitors, and others.
- Based on the drug class, the market has been classified into cephalosporin, penicillin, fluoroquinolone, macrolide, carbapenem, aminoglycoside, and others.
- On the basis of the spectrum of activity, the market has been segmented into broad-spectrum antibiotics and narrow-spectrum antibiotics.
- Based on the route of administration, the market has been categorized into oral, parenteral, topical and others.
- On the basis of the end user, the market has been divided into hospitals, specialty clinics, and others.
- On the geographical front, the market has been segregated into North America (the United States and Canada), Europe (Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia and others), Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia and others), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico and others), and Middle East and Africa.
- The competitive landscape of the market has been studied in the report with the detailed profiles of the key players. Some of these players include Allergan Plc (AbbVie Inc.), Basilea Pharmaceutica AG, GlaxoSmithKline Plc, Johnson & Johnson, Melinta Therapeutics, Merck & Co. Inc., Nabriva Therapeutics Plc, Paratek Pharmaceuticals Inc., Pfizer Inc., Sanofi SA, Spero Therapeutics and Tetraphase Pharmaceuticals.
IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
IMARC’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
Follow us on twitter: @imarcglobal