The recent report by IMARC Group, titled “Automotive Piston Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2022-2027”, estimates that the global automotive piston market reached a value of US$ 4.06 Billion in 2021. An automotive piston refers to a cylindrically shaped component which moves up and down inside the cylinder of an engine. The reciprocating action of the piston produces significant inertial force and generates mechanical energy that propels the crankshaft movement as well as provides the necessary power to an automobile for its proper functioning. These pistons are generally made up of aluminum and steel alloys as they can endure high temperatures and prevent the leakage of gas. They withstand combustion pressure and reciprocate loads to have expansion control for noiseless and long-life operation.
Owing to the growing population and inflating disposable incomes, people are now more inclined toward spending on personal vehicles, especially in emerging economies. This has resulted in the increasing sales of automobiles, which acts as a significant contributor to the market growth. Moreover, the market is driven by the emerging trend of high-end bikes having double cylinders, which require two pistons each. This, coupled with the launch of innovative and lightweight products developed from carbon, silicon and magnesium by manufacturers, is rapidly driving the market toward growth. On account of the aforementioned factors, the global automotive piston market size is anticipated to reach US$ 4.91 Billion by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of 3.1% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
- Based on the material, the market has been bifurcated into aluminum and steel automotive pistons. Amongst these, aluminum pistons are currently dominating the market.
- On the basis of the vehicle, the market has been categorized into passenger cars, light commercial vehicles (LCVs) and heavy commercial vehicles (HCVs). Presently, passenger cars holds majority of the market share.
- Based on the piston coating, the market has been segregated into thermal barrier, dry film lubricant and oil shedding. Currently, dry film lubricant piston coatings hold the largest market share.
- On the basis of the piston type, the market has been divided into trunk, crosshead, slipper and deflector pistons.
- Based on the distribution channel, the market has been classified into OEM and aftermarket.
- Region-wise, the market has been categorized into Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East and Africa, North America, and Latin America. At present, Asia Pacific holds the leading position in the market.
- The competitive landscape of the market has also been analyzed with some of the key players operating being MAHLE GmbH, Aisin-Seiki Co. Ltd., KSPG AG, Hitachi Automotive Systems, Federal-Mogul, India Pistons Limited, Arias Piston, Capricorn Automotive, Ross Racing Piston, and Shriram Pistons and Rings.
IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
IMARC’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
Follow us on twitter: @imarcglobal