Casein is the protein found in mammalian milk and forms an essential ingredient of cheese. It is an amorphous white solid without any taste and odour in its original form. However, commercial casein is slightly yellow in colour with a pleasant odour. In the recent years, casein is increasingly being consumed by the masses as it helps in improving metabolic rate, yielding greater strength gains, and reducing and preventing the effects of enamel erosion. It is also used in medicines, dietary supplements, prepared foods and cosmetics. A new research report by IMARC Group, titled “Casein Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2018-2023”, estimates that the market reached a volume of 326,800 Tons in 2017. The report further anticipates the market to reach a volume of 404,100 Tons by 2023, at a projected CAGR of 3.6% over the forecast period.
Global Casein Market Drivers/Constraints:
- Casein is used to emulsify fat, provide nutrition, lower blood pressure and sugar, and as an adhesive and colorant. This has led to an increase in the demand for casein in a wide variety of industries, such as food and beverage, pharmaceutical, etc.
- The changing dietary habits of the consumers due to increasing health awareness have led to a rise in the consumption of casein, thereby accelerating the overall growth of the market across the globe.
- Longer shelf-life, high income levels, growing consumption of protein enriched food products and health drinks represent some of the other key factors driving the demand for casein globally.
- The increasing raw material and manufacturing costs, and limited and fluctuating raw material supply are major the factors hampering the growth of the global casein market.
Product Type Insights:
On the basis of type, the market has been segmented into rennet and acid casein. Currently, rennet casein dominates the market as it is mainly used in the production of infant formulas, functional foods, and processed cheese.
On a geographical front, Europe represents the largest market for casein as it is majorly used in the production of cheese and other casein products, such as functional foods and nutrition products. Other major regions include Oceania, North America, Asia and others.
The market is highly fragmented in nature with the presence of numerous small and large players. Some of the leading players are:
- Savencia Fromage & Dairy (Bongrain SA)
IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
IMARC’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
Follow us on twitter: @imarcglobal