The latest report by IMARC, titled “Cough Syrup Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2023-2028”, finds that the global cough syrup market size reached US$ 5.7 Billion in 2022. Cough syrup is a combination drug that offers temporary relief from common cold, cough, hay fever, and other respiratory allergies. It is produced using expectorants, non-opioid cough suppressants, and antihistamine compounds to block the symptoms. The suppressants help alleviate the symptoms of dry cough by reducing the activity of the cough reflex and minimizing the urge to cough. The function of the expectorants is to treat a cough with mucus by loosening it, which makes it easy to expel from the body. The antihistamines relieve the cough caused by minor throat or airway irritation. In recent years, cough syrups have gained traction as they are prescribed by doctors or are available over-the-counter (OTC) in pharmacy stores in different flavors, such as honey, bubblegum, cherry, and orange.
Global Cough Syrup Market Trends:
One of the primary factors driving the market is the increasing incidences of upper respiratory tract infection (URTI), along with other respiratory disorders globally. Additionally, the rising geriatric population, which is more prone to such diseases, is positively influencing market growth. Other than this, cough syrups are mainly used to treat dry cough, which develops due to prolonged exposure to tobacco, poor air quality, and indoor smoke and air pollution. Besides this, the growing health consciousness, along with the easy accessibility of this product in pharmacies and general stores, is creating a positive market outlook. In line with this, numerous product innovations, such as the development of cough syrups with minimal effects, are propelling market growth. Other growth-inducing factors include exponential growth in the pharmaceutical industry and expanding disposable income levels. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market value to reach US$ 7.3 Billion by 2028, expanding at a CAGR of 4.11% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- Based on the product type, the market has been divided into expectorants, cough suppressants/antitussives, and combination medications.
- On the basis of the age group, the market has been bifurcated into pediatric and adult.
- Based on the distribution channel, the market has been segregated into retail, hospital, and online pharmacy.
- Region-wise, the market has been classified into North America (the United States and Canada), Asia-Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, and others), Europe (Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, and others), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and others), and Middle East and Africa.
- The competitive landscape of the market has also been analyzed, with some of the key players being Acella Pharmaceuticals LLC, Bayer AG, GlaxoSmithKline PLC, Johnson & Johnson Private Limited, Pfizer Inc., Prestige Consumer Healthcare Inc., Reckitt Benckiser Group PLC, Sanofi SA, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited, and The Procter & Gamble Company.
|Base Year of the Analysis
||Product Type, Age Group, Distribution Channel, Region
||Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East and Africa
||United States, Canada, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico
||Acella Pharmaceuticals LLC, Bayer AG, GlaxoSmithKline PLC, Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer Inc., Prestige Consumer Healthcare Inc., Reckitt Benckiser Group PLC, Sanofi, Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited and The Procter & Gamble Company
||10% Free Customization
|Report Price and Purchase Option
||Single User License: US$ 2499
Five User License: US$ 3499
Corporate License: US$ 4499
|Post-Sale Analyst Support
||PDF and Excel through Email (We can also provide the editable version of the report in PPT/Word format on special request)
IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
IMARC’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
30 N Gould St, Ste
Sheridan, WY (Wyoming) 82801 USA
Tel No:(D) +91 120 433 0800
Americas:- +1 631 791 1145 | Africa and Europe :- +44-702-409-7331 | Asia: +91-120-433-0800, +91-120-433-0800