Made from absorbent materials such as cloth and synthetic fibres, diapers are used for urination and excretion. Diapers are commonly associated with babies and infants; however, they are also worn by the adults. Adult diapers are used by those suffering from medical conditions, experiencing urinary or faecal incontinence, or those who are limited in their mobility or are bed-ridden. Moreover, it is quintessential to change the diaper after a time span so as to avoid rashes and other skin infections. A new research report by IMARC Group, titled “Diaper Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2018-2023”, estimates that the market was worth US$ 61.1 Billion in 2017.The report further anticipates the market to cross US$ 87.2 Billion by 2023, exhibiting a CAGR of around 6.1% during 2018-2023.
- Growing awareness about health and hygiene among consumers, introduction of advanced technologies, improved diaper materials, investments in promotion and advertising have spurred the global demand for diapers.
- In addition, a constant growth of women employment rate in the developing nations is contributing to the expansion of diaper market owing to its convenience and travel-friendly nature.
- Some of the other factors which are fuelling the growth of the global diaper market include increasing urbanisation, affordability, growing online purchase of baby diapers and rising prevalence of urinary incontinence among the geriatric population.
- However, there are several factors that impede the market growth. Diapers act as a barrier for adequate air-circulation which makes it a perfect ground for bacteria, leading to skin infections.
Product Type Insights:
Based on type, diapers are segmented as baby diaper and adult diaper. Amongst these, baby diaper is classified as disposable diapers, training diapers, cloth diapers, baby swim pants and biodegradable diapers; and adult diaper as pad type, flat type and pant type.
Distribution Channel Insights:
On the basis of distribution channel, pharmacies represent the biggest segment with the majority of the global share. They are followed by convenience stores, online and others.
On a geographical front, North America enjoys a leading position in the global diaper market. North America is followed by Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America and, Middle East and Africa.
The market is fragmented with the presence of both small and large manufacturers who compete in terms of prices and quality. There is an intense competition in the market which makes it difficult for small players to survive. Some of the leading players operating in the market are:
- Kao Corporation
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Procter & Gamble Company
- Unicharm Corporation
IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
IMARC’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
Follow us on twitter: @imarcglobal