The latest report by IMARC Group, titled “Fermented Food Market: Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity, and Forecast 2022-2027,” finds that the global fermented foods market size is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 5.6% during the forecast period (2022-2027). Fermented foods are made through an anaerobic process that involves fermentation by microorganisms to break starch and sugar into lactic, citric, or acetic acids. Some commonly consumed fermented foods include sausages, soy sauce, pickles, kimchi, yogurt, cheeses, tempeh, natto, kombucha, miso, sauerkraut, and balsamic vinegar. The fermentation process provides new flavors and textures to foods while preventing them from spoiling. Moreover, the addition of heat and salt during canning can extend the shelf life of fermented foods. It helps to improve the digestive system by maintaining a proper balance of bacteria in the gut. It also offers various benefits, such as reducing the risk of cardiovascular ailments, minimizing inflammatory bowel disorders, boosting the immune system, and maintaining cognitive health.
We are regularly tracking the direct effect of COVID-19 on the market, along with the indirect influence of associated industries. These observations will be integrated into the report.
Global Fermented Food Market Trends:
The market is primarily driven by the increasing health consciousness among individuals. This can be attributed to the changing dietary patterns based on the high content of omega-3 fatty acids, essential enzymes, and probiotics. In addition, the growing consumer inclination toward organic, natural, and clean-labeled food products, fermented foods, and beverages that enhance the digestive system by improving the bowel metabolism and immune systems is further escalating the product demand. Moreover, the growing popularity of vegan food and fermented vegan meat products such as tempeh, having similar nutritional value compared to meat-based alternatives, represents another major growth-inducing factor. Apart from this, the increasing consumption of various functional beverages, such as kombucha tea and probiotic fermented milk, is further propelling the market growth. Besides this, various regulatory bodies are introducing safety standards for offering appropriate quality control and maintaining the functionality of fermented foods. Consequently, key players are adopting advanced fermentation technology to produce innovative product variants with enriched flavor and prolonged shelf life, which is also creating a positive market outlook across the globe.
- Based on the food type, the market has been classified into fermented dairy products, fermented beverages, fermented confectionery and bakery products, fermented vegetables, and others.
- On the basis of the ingredient type, the market has been divided into amino acids, organic acids, vitamins, industrial enzymes, and others.
- Based on the fermentation process, the market has been classified into batch, continuous, aerobic, and anaerobic fermentation.
- On the basis of the distribution channel, the market has been segmented into supermarkets and hypermarkets, online stores, and others.
- Region-wise, the market has been divided into North America (the United States and Canada), Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, and others), Europe (Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, and others), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and others), and Middle East and Africa (Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and others).
- The competitive landscape of the industry has also been examined in the report, with some of the key players being Ajinomoto Co. Inc., Angel Yeast Co. Ltd., Archer Daniels Midland Company, Cargill Incorporated., Chr. Hansen Holding A/S, Conagra Brands Inc., Danone, Dohler GmbH, General Mills Inc., Kerry Group plc, KeVita Inc (PepsiCo Inc.), Koninklijke DSM N.V., Lallemand Inc., Mars Incorporated, Meiji Holdings Co. Ltd., Mondelez International, Nestlé S.A. and Royal FrieslandCampina N.V.
IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
IMARC’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
30 N Gould St, Ste R
Sheridan, WY 82801, USA
Americas: +1-631-791-1145 | Europe & Africa: +44-753-713-2163 | Asia: +91-120-433-0800