According to the latest report by IMARC Group, titled “Laparotomy Sponges Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2019-2024”, the global laparotomy sponges market size reached US$ 0.75 Billion in 2018. A laparotomy sponges, also known as an absorbent pad, is a rectangular pad composed of several layers of gauze. It is used for absorbing viscera during laparotomy or surgery due to medical conditions, such as internal abdominal bleeding, bowel obstruction or perforation, pancreatitis, or in the cases of cesarean deliveries. Generally, laparotomy sponges are made from sterilized cotton, rayon or rayon–polypropylene, and nylon–polyester composite towels. They help in the maximum absorption of body fluids around the surgical site while providing a clear view of the organs being operated. Besides this, these sponges ensure balanced moisture retention while maintaining sterilized hygiene.
Global Laparotomy Sponges Market Trends:
The increasing number of laparotomy surgeries, along with the expanding geriatric population, the availability of advanced medical procedures, and improving health awareness among individuals, is one of the major factors driving the market growth. The rising prevalence of diseases, including hernia, appendicitis, peptic ulcer disease and colon cancer, among the elderly population, has escalated the rate of abdominal surgeries. Furthermore, rising awareness of the lower risks and early recovery associated with cesarean-based deliveries has also catalyzed the demand for laparotomy sponges. Apart from this, the growing incidences of retained surgical items (RSI) inside the body, coupled with various technological advancements, have led to the introduction of X-ray and barcode-detection based sponges. In addition to this, various governmental initiatives, such as the ‘No Things Left Behind’ project by the Government of the US, are being introduced for creating awareness toward RSI. Moreover, rapid urbanization, coupled with the rising per capita income in countries such as India, Vietnam and Indonesia, has led to the establishment of several hospitals and surgery centers. As a result, open abdominal surgeries have become more accessible to patients in these regions, which in turn is catalyzing the market growth. Looking forward, the market value is projected to reach US$ 1.12 Billion by 2024, expanding at a CAGR of 7% during 2019-2024.
- Based on the technology, the market has been segmented as radiopaque, traditional and radio-frequency identification (RFID).
- On the basis of the sterility, the market has been bifurcated into sterile and non-sterile laparotomy sponges.
- The market has been categorized based on the procedure into pre-washed and non-washed laparotomy sponges.
- Based on the end user, the market has been classified as hospitals, clinics, multispecialty surgical centers, ambulatory surgical centers and others.
- Region-wise, the market has been segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa, and Latin America.
- The competitive landscape of the market has been examined with some of the key players being Medtronic plc, Owens & Minor, Inc., Integra LifeSciences, Medical Action Industries, AdvaCare Pharma, B. Braun Melsungen AG, Cardinal Health, Inc., Dynarex Corporation, DeRoyal Industries, BSN Medical GmbH, Dukal Corporation, and Stryker Corporation.
IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
IMARC’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
Follow us on twitter: @imarcglobal