As per the latest report by IMARC Group, titled "PEGylated Proteins Market by Product (Consumables, Services), Protein Type (Colony Stimulating Factors, Interferons, Erythropoietin, mAbs, Recombinant Factor VII, and Others), Application (Cancer Treatment, Hepatitis, Chronic Kidney Diseases, Hemophilia, Multiple Sclerosis, Gastrointestinal Disorders, and Others), End User (Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Companies, Contract Research Organizations, Academic and Research Institutes), and Region 2023-2028," the global PEGylated proteins market size reached US$ 1.16 Billion in 2022. PEGylation is the process of covalently attaching polyethylene glycol (PEG) molecules to proteins. It has revolutionized the field of therapeutic protein engineering and is extensively employed in the pharmaceutical industry. It offers numerous advantages, such as enhancing the properties and performance of therapeutic proteins. The production of PEGylated proteins involves chemically modifying the protein of interest with PEG chains, thereby altering its physicochemical properties. This modification imparts several beneficial characteristics, such as increased stability, reduced immunogenicity, prolonged half-life, and improved solubility, ultimately leading to improved therapeutic efficacy. One of its key benefits is the enhanced stability it provides to proteins, protecting them from degradation and denaturation. By shielding proteins from enzymatic degradation and immune recognition, PEGylation significantly extends their circulating half-life, allowing for less frequent dosing and improved patient compliance. Moreover, the attachment of PEG chains to proteins can reduce their immunogenicity, minimizing adverse immune reactions and increasing the safety profile of therapeutic interventions. In comparison to conventional protein-based therapeutics, PEGylated proteins demonstrate improved pharmacokinetic properties, resulting in optimized drug delivery and expanded therapeutic window. The reduced renal clearance and prolonged circulation time of PEGylated proteins enable targeted drug delivery to specific tissues or cells, enhancing efficacy while minimizing systemic toxicity. Currently, it has found application in various therapeutic areas, including oncology, immunology, and hematology.
Global PEGylated Proteins Market Trends:
The global market for PEGylated proteins is primarily influenced by the growing prevalence of chronic diseases, such as cancer, diabetes, and autoimmune disorders, and the surging demand for targeted therapies. Moreover, the rising geriatric population has fueled the demand for innovative treatments, which is boosting the market growth. In confluence with this, significant advancements in biotechnology and protein engineering have led to the development of novel PEGylation techniques, enabling the modification of a wide range of proteins for various therapeutic applications, further propelling the market growth. Additionally, the increasing adoption of biologics, including PEGylated proteins, by healthcare providers and patients, the expanding research and development (R&D) activities in protein-based therapeutics, and the growing number of collaborations between pharmaceutical companies and academic institutions are contributing to the market growth. Apart from this, favorable regulatory environments and the increasing number of drug approvals for PEGylated protein-based therapies are creating a positive outlook for market growth. Besides this, the rising demand for personalized medicine and the escalating healthcare expenditure, coupled with the expanding biopharmaceutical industry, are fostering the market growth. In line with this, continuous technological advancements in drug delivery systems and the escalating focus on targeted drug delivery using PEGylated proteins are positively contributing to market growth. Other factors, such as the increasing awareness about the advantages of PEGylated proteins, including prolonged drug half-life, improved bioavailability, and reduced immunogenicity, and inflating consumer expenditure power, are accelerating the market growth. Looking forward, the market value is projected to reach US$ 2.13 Billion by 2028, expanding at a CAGR of 10.16% during 2023-2028.
- By the product, the market is segmented into consumables (PEgylation reagents and PEgylation kits) and services. According to the report, consumables accounted for the largest market share.
- Based on the protein type, the market is segregated into colony stimulating factors, interferons, erythropoietin, mAbs, recombinant factor VII, and others. According to the report, colony stimulating factors represented the largest segment.
- On the basis of the application, the market is divided into cancer treatment, hepatitis, chronic kidney diseases, hemophilia, multiple sclerosis, gastrointestinal disorders, and others. According to the report, cancer treatment represented the largest segment.
- Based on the end user, the market is categorized into pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, contract research organizations, and academic and research institutes. According to the report, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies represented the largest segment.
- By the region, the market has been categorized into North America (the United States and Canada), Asia-Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, and others), Europe (Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, and others), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and others), and Middle East and Africa. According to the report, North America was the largest market for PEGylated proteins.
- The competitive landscape of the industry has also been examined with some of the key players being Abcam plc, Biomatrik Inc., Creative PEGWorks, Iris Biotech GmbH, JenKem Technology USA Inc., Laysan Bio Inc., NOF America Corporation (NOF Corporation), Profacgen, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., etc.
|Base Year of the Analysis
||Consumables: PEGylation Reagents, PEGylation Kits
|Protein Types Covered
||Colony Stimulating Factors, Interferons, Erythropoietin, mAbs, Recombinant Factor VII, Others
||Cancer Treatment, Hepatitis, Chronic Kidney Diseases, Hemophilia, Multiple Sclerosis, Gastrointestinal Disorders, Others
|End Users Covered
||Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Companies, Contract Research Organizations, Academic and Research Institutes
|| Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East and Africa
||United States, Canada, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico
||Abcam plc, Biomatrik Inc., Creative PEGWorks, Iris Biotech GmbH, JenKem Technology USA Inc., Laysan Bio Inc., NOF America Corporation (NOF Corporation), Profacgen, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., etc.
||10% Free Customization
|Report Price and Purchase Option
||Single User License: US$ 2499
Five User License: US$ 3499
Corporate License: US$ 4499
|Post-Sale Analyst Support
||PDF and Excel through Email (We can also provide the editable version of the report in PPT/Word format on special request)
IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
IMARC’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
134 N 4th St.
Brooklyn, NY 11249, USA
Americas:- +1 631 791 1145 | Africa and Europe :- +44-702-409-7331 | Asia: +91-120-433-0800, +91-120-433-0800