According to the latest report by IMARC Group, titled “Phenolic Resins Market by Product Type (Novolac, Resol), Application (Molding, Adhesive, Insulation, Laminates, Coatings, Paper Impregnation, and Others), End Use Industry (Automotive and Transportation, Consumer Electronics, Building and Construction, Oil and Gas, Furniture, and Others), and region 2023-2028,” the global phenolic resins market size reached US$ 14.8 Billion in 2022. Phenolic resins are a type of synthetic polymer formed by the reaction of phenol (C6H5OH) with formaldehyde (CH2C=O). This, in turn, results in a thermoset material that is highly resistant to heat, fire, and chemicals. These products also exhibit excellent mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties and offer superior dimensional stability and strength. As a result, phenolic resins are widely used as adhesives, coatings, and binders in manufacturing automotive parts, electrical components, construction materials, and consumer goods. They are particularly useful in high-temperature applications, where other materials may break down or degrade. Currently, various leading market players are launching self-healing phenolic resins that can repair cracks and other damages without needing external intervention.
Global Phenolic Resins Market Trends:
The expanding product utilization across the automotive sector to manufacture various components, such as brake pads, clutches, automatic transmission parts, and decorative laminates for vehicle interiors, is primarily driving the market growth. The market is further supported by increasing sales of autonomous and luxury vehicles due to rapid urbanization and inflating disposable incomes of individuals. Besides this, the rising use of phenolic resins for making aircraft interiors, stow bins, and galley walls, as well as impregnating different substrates in the production of electrical laminates, are acting as another growth-inducing factor. Moreover, the growing demand for phenolic resins in the flourishing construction industry as bonding adhesives for composite and wood-based panels due to their eco-friendliness, superior strength, and weather-resistance characteristics are contributing to the market growth. In addition to this, the widespread product adoption in offshore water pipe systems due to its favorable properties, such as low thermal conductivity and enhanced resistance to corrosion, is presenting remunerative growth opportunities for the market. Furthermore, the surging use of phenolic resins in three-dimensional (3D) printing for producing complex parts in the defense, aerospace, and automotive industries and molding applications for electrical and electronic components and household appliances are aiding in market expansion. Looking forward, the market value is projected to reach US$ 20.4 Billion by 2028, expanding at a CAGR of 4.8% during 2023-2028.
- Based on the product type, the market is bifurcated into novolac and resol. Between these, resol holds the largest share.
- On the basis of the application, the market has been segregated into molding, adhesive, insulation, laminates, coatings, paper impregnation, and others. At present, adhesive represents the most popular segment.
- Based on the end use industry, the market is categorized into automotive and transportation, consumer electronics, building and construction, oil and gas, furniture, and others. Among these, automotive and transportation is the biggest end use industry.
- On the basis of the region, the market has been segmented into North America (the United States and Canada), Asia-Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, and others), Europe (Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, and others), Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and others), and Middle East and Africa. Currently, Asia Pacific enjoys the leading position in the market.
- The competitive landscape of the market has also been examined, with some of the key players being Akrochem Corporation, Allnex GMBH (PTT Global Chemical), Bakelite Synthetics, Bostik Inc. (Arkema S.A.), DIC Corporation, Hexion Inc., Kolon Industries Inc., Kraton Corporation (DL Chemical Co. Ltd.), Prefere Resins Holding GmbH, Shandong Laiwu Runda New Material Co. Ltd., SI Group Inc., and Sumitomo Bakelite Company Limited.
|Base Year of the Analysis
|Product Type Covered
||Molding, Adhesive, Insulation, Laminates, Coatings, Paper Impregnation, Others
|End Use Industry Covered
||Automotive and Transportation, Consumer Electronics, Building and Construction, Oil and Gas, Furniture, Others
|| Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East and Africa
||United States, Canada, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico
||Akrochem Corporation, Allnex GMBH (PTT Global Chemical), Bakelite Synthetics, Bostik Inc. (Arkema S.A.), DIC Corporation, Hexion Inc., Kolon Industries Inc., Kraton Corporation (DL Chemical Co. Ltd.), Prefere Resins Holding GmbH, Shandong Laiwu Runda New Material Co. Ltd., SI Group Inc., and Sumitomo Bakelite Company Limited.
||10% Free Customization
|Report Price and Purchase Option
||Single User License: US$ 2499
Five User License: US$ 3499
Corporate License: US$ 4499
|Post-Sale Analyst Support
||PDF and Excel through Email (We can also provide the editable version of the report in PPT/Word format on special request)
IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
IMARC’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
134 N 4th St.
Brooklyn, NY 11249, USA
Americas:- +1 631 791 1145 | Africa and Europe :- +44-702-409-7331 | Asia: +91-120-433-0800, +91-120-433-0800