The Indian fish market is expected to reach a volume of 26.6 Million Metric Tons by 2026, exhibiting moderate growth during 2021-2026. Keeping in mind the uncertainties of COVID-19, we are continuously tracking and evaluating the direct as well as the indirect influence of the pandemic on different end use sectors. These insights are included in the report as a major market contributor.
Accounting for nearly 6% of the global fish production, India today represents one of the largest producers of fish in the world. Both, domestic consumption as well as export of fishes have witnessed a strong growth in India over the last few years. The per capita consumption of fish has also shown a continuous growth over the last several years. A number of factors are currently driving the consumption of fish in India. These include life style changes, increasing cost of meat and the perception of fish as a healthy food with high levels of digestible protein, PUFA and cholesterol lowering capability.
Indian Fish Market: Drivers
- Increasing Per Capita Consumption: The per capita consumption of fish has been continuously increasing over the past few decades. As a result of increasing disposable incomes and changing food habits, we expect the consumption of fish to continue increasing in the coming years.
- Growth of Organized Food Retail: The growth of the organized food retail market is expected to increase the accessibility of processed fish, particularly, canned and frozen fish products for consumers. This is expected to create a positive impact on market growth.
- Increasing Awareness on the Health Benefits of Fishes: The market for health and wellness foods in India is currently exhibiting strong growth. As previously discussed, fishes are perceived as a healthy food containing high levels of digestible protein, PUFA and cholesterol lowering capability. Increasing awareness of fish as a food associated with health and wellness is expected to create a positive impact on its consumption in the coming years.
- Growth in Exports: India is also emerging as a leading exporter of fishes with export values exhibiting double digit growth rates. The country is currently one of the key suppliers of frozen shrimp and frozen fish in various international markets.
- Based on the fish type, the market has been segmented as inland fishes, marine fishes, shrimps and scampi. Currently, inland fishes dominate the market, holding the largest share.
- Based on the product type, the market has been segmented as fresh, frozen, canned and others.
- On the basis of end-user, the market has been segmented as retail and institutional sectors.
- On the basis of distribution channel, the market has been segmented as organized and unorganized sectors.
- The market has also been segmented on the basis of various states.
- The competitive landscape of the market has also been examined in the report and the profiles of key players have also been provided.
This report provides a deep insight into the Indian fish market covering all its essential aspects. This ranges from the macro overview of the market to micro details of the industry performance, recent trends, key market drivers and challenges, SWOT analysis, Porter’s five forces analysis, value chain analysis, etc. This report is a must-read for entrepreneurs, investors, researchers, consultants, business strategists, and all those who have any kind of stake or are planning to foray into the Indian fish market in any manner.
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the Indian fish market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What has been the impact of COVID-19 on the Indian fish market?
- What is the breakup of the Indian fish market on the basis of fish type?
- What is the breakup of the Indian fish market on the basis of various products?
- What is the breakup of the Indian fish market on the basis of distribution channel?
- What is the breakup of the Indian fish market on the basis of end-user?
- What is the breakup of the Indian fish market on the basis of various states?
- What are the various stages in the value chain of the Indian fish market?
- What are the key driving factors and challenges in the Indian fish market?
- What is the structure of the Indian fish market and who are the key players?
- What is the degree of competition in the Indian fish market?