The global infection control market size reached US$ 24.5 Billion in 2022. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 37.9 Billion by 2028, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 7.6% during 2023-2028. The rapid technological advancements in diagnostic and infection control equipment, the increasing demand in veterinary and animal care settings, the rising research and development in infectious disease prevention, and the growing focus on preventing healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) are some of the factors propelling the market.
Market Size in 2022
|US$ 24.5 Billion
Market Forecast in 2028
|US$ 37.9 Billion
Market Growth Rate 2023-2028
Infection control is a crucial set of measures and practices implemented to prevent the spread and transmission of infections in various settings, including healthcare facilities, public spaces, and workplaces. The primary goal is to protect individuals, patients, and healthcare workers from acquiring and spreading infectious diseases. In healthcare settings, it involves strict protocols for hand hygiene, using personal protective equipment (PPE), proper sterilization and disinfection of medical equipment, and isolation precautions for contagious patients. These measures reduce the risk of healthcare-associated infections and ensure patient safety. In public spaces and workplaces, infection control measures may include regular cleaning and disinfecting surfaces, promoting respiratory hygiene, and encouraging vaccination to prevent the spreading of communicable diseases. It plays a pivotal role in containing outbreaks, mitigating the impact of infectious diseases, and maintaining public health. It is a collaborative effort involving healthcare professionals, policymakers, and individuals, emphasizing the importance of awareness, education, and adherence to best practices to safeguard the well-being of communities and prevent the transmission of infections.
The global market is majorly driven by the increasing prevalence of infectious diseases. In line with this, the growing global population and urbanization are significantly contributing to the market. Furthermore, the rise in hospital-acquired infections is positively influencing the market. Apart from this, the emergence of drug-resistant pathogens and the escalating demand for stringent these measures in healthcare facilities are catalyzing the market. Several governments worldwide regulations mandating infection control protocols are creating a positive outlook for the market. Moreover, the increasing focus on patient safety and the rising awareness of infection transmission in public spaces are catalyzing the market. Besides, the growing aging population, susceptible to infection, is propelling the market. Additionally, the rapid advances in infection control technologies and products are providing a boost to the market. Other factors driving the market include expanding healthcare infrastructure, escalating healthcare expenditure, and the increasing need in dental and surgical procedures.
Infection Control Market Trends/Drivers:
Rising number of surgeries and medical procedures
The rising number of surgeries and medical procedures is bolstering the market. As medical advancements continue, there is a growing demand for various surgical interventions and invasive procedures to address health conditions effectively. With an increase in these procedures, the risk of healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) also escalates, highlighting the critical importance of infection control protocols in healthcare settings. Surgical sites are particularly vulnerable to infections, and healthcare facilities must implement stringent measures to minimize the risk of complications and ensure patient safety. The control practices, including strict hand hygiene, proper sterilization of instruments, and adherence to isolation precautions, play a pivotal role in preventing infections and promoting successful outcomes. As the volume of surgeries and medical procedures rises globally, the demand for products and technologies is expected to grow. Manufacturers and healthcare providers continuously explore innovative solutions to effectively manage infection risks and enhance patient care during these essential interventions.
Growing adoption in food processing industries
The growing adoption of infection control measures in food processing industries is fostering the market. Food processing facilities handle and process large quantities of food products, making them susceptible to contamination and spreading infections. Strict infection control practices are imperative to ensure food safety and prevent outbreaks of foodborne illnesses. These control measures in food processing industries include maintaining hygienic conditions, implementing rigorous cleaning and sanitation protocols, and training employees on hygiene practices. These measures help prevent the growth of harmful bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens that can cause foodborne illnesses. With an increasing focus on food safety and regulatory compliance, food processing companies are recognizing the importance of investing in effective solutions. The demand for technologies and products that can reduce the risk of contamination and ensure safe food processing is on the rise, fueling the market growth in this sector.
Increasing awareness among healthcare professionals about infection prevention
The increasing awareness among healthcare professionals about infection prevention is creating a positive outlook for the market. Healthcare professionals, including doctors, nurses, and other medical staff, play a pivotal role in patient care and safety. As the understanding of infectious diseases and their modes of transmission improves, healthcare professionals are becoming more proactive in implementing infection prevention protocols. Awareness programs, training sessions, and continuing education initiatives have become common in healthcare settings to equip medical staff with the knowledge and skills to combat infections effectively. These efforts focus on hand hygiene, proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE), sterilization and disinfection practices, and adherence to isolation precautions. With a growing emphasis on patient safety and quality healthcare, healthcare facilities are prioritizing infection control measures as an integral part of their standard operating procedures. This heightened awareness among healthcare professionals drives the demand for infection control products, technologies, and protocols, as healthcare facilities strive to provide the best possible care while ensuring patient safety and preventing healthcare-associated infections (HAIs).
Infection Control Industry Segmentation:
IMARC Group provides an analysis of the key trends in each segment of the global infection control market report, along with forecasts at the global, regional and country levels from 2023-2028. Our report has categorized the market based on type and end user.
Breakup by Type:
- Ultrasonic Cleaners
- Sterilization Equipment
- Heat Sterilization
- Low Temperature Sterilization
- Radiation Sterilization
- Filtration-Based Sterilization
- Contract Sterilization
- ETO Sterilization
- Gamma Sterilization
- E-Beam Sterilization
- Steam Sterilization
- Infectious Waste Disposal
- Sterilization Consumables
- Personal Protective Equipment
Consumables dominate the market
The report has provided a detailed breakup and analysis of the market based on the type. This includes equipment, services, and consumables. According to the report, consumables represented the largest segment.
The consumables segment, including disinfectants, sterilization consumables, personal protective equipment (PPE), and other related products, is the largest market segment in the industry. These consumables play a critical role in preventing and controlling the spread of infections across various sectors, such as healthcare, food processing, and public spaces. Disinfectants are vital in healthcare facilities, laboratories, and public spaces to eliminate harmful pathogens on surfaces and minimize the risk of infections. Sterilization consumables, like autoclave bags and indicator tapes, are indispensable in maintaining sterile medical instruments and equipment conditions.
In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, the demand for PPE, including masks, gloves, and gowns, has increased significantly to protect healthcare workers and the general public from viral transmission. The consumables segment's dominance is attributed to the ongoing need for these essential infection control products in various industries and the growing emphasis on health and safety across the globe. As the awareness of infection prevention continues to increase, the demand for consumables is expected to sustain its market leadership.
Breakup by End User:
- Hospitals and Clinics
- Medical Device Companies
- Clinical Laboratories
- Pharmaceutical Companies
Hospitals and clinics dominate the market
The report has provided a detailed breakup and analysis of the market based on the end user. This includes hospitals and clinics, medical device companies, clinical laboratories, pharmaceutical companies, and others. According to the report, hospitals and clinics represented the largest segment.
The hospitals and clinics segment emerged as the largest market share holder in the industry, reflecting the critical role of infection prevention measures in healthcare settings. Hospitals and clinics are high-risk environments where vulnerable patients, healthcare professionals, and visitors come into close contact, making them susceptible to infectious diseases. Infection control is of utmost importance in these settings to curb the spread of healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) and safeguard patient safety. Strict protocols, including hand hygiene, sterilization of medical equipment, and the use of personal protective equipment (PPE), are integral to maintaining a safe and sterile environment.
With a growing focus on patient care, hospital accreditation, and regulatory compliance, the demand for these solutions in hospitals and clinics remains robust. As healthcare facilities strive to enhance infection prevention measures and reduce the burden of HAIs, the hospitals and clinics segment is expected to continue leading the market.
Breakup by Region:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
North America exhibits a clear dominance, accounting for the largest infection control market share
The report has also provided a comprehensive analysis of all the major regional markets, which includeS North America (the United States and Canada); Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Russia, and Others); Europe (Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, and Others); Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and Others); and the Middle East and Africa. According to the report, North America accounted for the largest market share.
North America, comprising the United States and Canada, dominate the market, which can be attributed to several key factors driving its growth. The region's significant aging population contributes to the rising demand for infection control measures, as older adults are more susceptible to infections and require enhanced healthcare support. Moreover, the region's technologically advanced healthcare infrastructure fosters the adoption of innovative infection control solutions, including advanced disinfectants, sterilization technologies, and smart medical devices.
High healthcare expenditure in the region also plays a pivotal role in driving the market, as healthcare facilities and providers prioritize patient safety and infection prevention to improve healthcare outcomes. Additionally, stringent regulatory guidelines and a focus on quality healthcare practices encourage institutions to invest in infection control products and protocols.
Top companies catalyze the market by introducing innovative solutions and technologies to combat infectious diseases. These companies invest heavily in research and development, creating cutting-edge disinfection and sterilization products that effectively prevent the spread of infections. Their commitment to maintaining stringent quality standards and adherence to regulatory guidelines instills trust among healthcare providers, bolstering their market presence. Moreover, these companies actively engage in educational programs and awareness campaigns, emphasizing the importance of infection prevention and control measures. Continued efforts to expand their global footprint through strategic collaborations and acquisitions further fuel market growth. They address environmental concerns and attract environmentally-conscious consumers by prioritizing sustainability and eco-friendly practices.
The report has provided a comprehensive analysis of the competitive landscape in the infection control market. Detailed profiles of all major companies have also been provided.
- 3M Company
- Advanced Sterlization Products Services Inc. (Fortive Corporation)
- Belimed AG (Metall Zug)
- Cantel Medical Corp.
- Getinge AB
- Metrex Research LLC (Envista Holdings and Sybron Dental Specialities Inc.)
- MMM Münchener Medizin Mechanik GmbH
- Pal International
- Sterigenics U.S. LLC (Sotera Health Holdings LLC)
- Steris Corporation
- TSO3 Inc. (Stryker Corporation)
- In 2018, 3M Healthcare collaborated with BD (Becton, Dickinson, and Company) to create and launch the 3M Attest Rapid Readout Biological Indicator System for vaporized hydrogen peroxide sterilization. This collaboration aimed to provide healthcare facilities with a faster and more reliable method to verify sterilization efficacy, contributing to improved infection control practices.
- In 2019, Fortive Corporation, the parent company of Advanced Sterilization Products (ASP), acquired the laboratory water purification business from Danaher Corporation, a strategic move to expand its life sciences portfolio. While this acquisition does not directly involve infection control, it showcases Fortive's commitment to growing its capabilities in the healthcare and life sciences sectors.
- In 2020, Belimed AG, a global provider of infection control solutions, introduced the MST-V 6060, a steam sterilizer designed for small and medium-sized practices. This innovation offered healthcare professionals a cost-effective and efficient sterilization solution to enhance infection prevention in smaller healthcare facilities.
Infection Control Market Report Scope:
|Base Year of the Analysis
|Scope of the Report
||Exploration of Historical and Forecast Trends, Industry Catalysts and Challenges, Segment-Wise Historical and Predictive Market Assessment:
- Equipment: Disinfectors (Washers, Flushers, Ultrasonic Cleaners), Sterilization Equipment (Heat Sterilization, Low Temperature Sterilization, Radiation Sterilization, Filtration-Based Sterilization), Others
- Services: Contract Sterilization (ETO Sterilization, Gamma Sterilization, E-Beam Sterilization, Steam Sterilization), Infectious Waste Disposal
- Consumables: Disinfectants, Sterilization Consumables, Personal Protective Equipment, Others
|End Users Covered
||Hospitals and Clinics, Medical Device Companies, Clinical Laboratories, Pharmaceutical Companies, Others
||Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East and Africa
||United States, Canada, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico
||3M Company, Advanced Sterlization Products Services Inc. (Fortive Corporation), Belimed AG (Metall Zug), Cantel Medical Corp., Getinge AB, Matachana, Metrex Research LLC (Envista Holdings and Sybron Dental Specialities Inc.), MMM Münchener Medizin Mechanik GmbH, Pal International, Sterigenics U.S. LLC (Sotera Health Holdings LLC), Steris Corporation, TSO3 Inc. (Stryker Corporation) etc.
||10% Free Customization
|Report Price and Purchase Option
||Single User License: US$ 2499
Five User License: US$ 3499
Corporate License: US$ 4499
|Post-Sale Analyst Support
||PDF and Excel through Email (We can also provide the editable version of the report in PPT/Word format on special request)
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the global infection control market performed so far, and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the global infection control market?
- What is the impact of each driver, restraint, and opportunity on the global infection control market?
- What are the key regional markets?
- Which countries represent the most attractive infection control market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the type?
- Which is the most attractive type in the global infection control market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the end user?
- Which is the most attractive end user in the global infection control market?
- What is the competitive structure of the global infection control market?
- Who are the key players/companies in the global infection control market?
Key Benefits for Stakeholders:
- IMARC’s report offers a comprehensive quantitative analysis of various market segments, historical and current market trends, market forecasts, and dynamics of the infection control market from 2017-2028.
- The research study provides the latest information on the market drivers, challenges, and opportunities in the global infection control market.
- The study maps the leading, as well as the fastest-growing, regional markets. It further enables stakeholders to identify the key country-level markets within each region.
- Porter's five forces analysis assists stakeholders in assessing the impact of new entrants, competitive rivalry, supplier power, buyer power, and the threat of substitution. It helps stakeholders to analyze the level of competition within the infection control industry and its attractiveness.
- Competitive landscape allows stakeholders to understand their competitive environment and provides an insight into the current positions of key players in the market.