According to the latest report by IMARC Group, titled “Japan Prepaid Cards Market: Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2022-2027”, the Japan prepaid cards market reached a value of US$
76.4 Billion in 2021. Prepaid cards are payment cards that are not linked with a bank account. The user generally deposits a cash balance in advance to utilize it as an alternative to cash payment. While most of the prepaid cards are reloadable and can be replenished with funds repeatedly, some of them are non-reloadable, such as gift cards, owing to which the user cannot spend more money than the amount that has been loaded onto the card. They make card-based purchases easier without the inconvenience of dealing with a financial institution. They also offer other advantages, such as security, versatility, direct deposit, online shopping, theft protection, and requirement of no credit history or interest rates. As a result, these cards are rapidly gaining traction all across Japan.
Japan Prepaid Cards Market Trends:
At present, Japan’s e-commerce sector is the fourth largest across the globe and is growing at a fast pace. This is resulting in an increasing number of consumers who are making online purchases using prepaid cards. In line with this, modern retail facilities, such as convenience stores, and hypermarkets and supermarkets, are providing various loyalty programs and reward schemes to consumers with prepaid cards to promote cashless payment in the country. Furthermore, transit agencies in the country are moving away from cash-based fare collection systems to contactless smart card-based systems to minimize the cost of fare collection and offer convenience to consumers. Consequently, they are accepting contactless bank cards at points of entry as a replacement for the current system. Besides this, prepaid cards are also being used in stores, restaurants, vending machines, buses and other forms of public transport. Owing to these factors, the market value is projected to reach US$
231.5% Billion by 2027, expanding at a CAGR of
20.1% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
- Based on the card type, the market has been bifurcated into closed-loop and open-loop cards. At present, closed-loop cards represent the most commonly utilized card types.
- On the basis of the purpose, the market has been segmented into travel, general-purpose reloadable (GPR), gift, gaming and other cards. general-purpose reloadable (GPR) account for the majority of the total market share.
- The market has been analyzed on the basis of the vertical into retail, government, corporate/organization and others. The retail sector currently exhibits a clear dominance in the market.
- Region-wise, Kanto enjoys the leading position in the market. Other major regions include Kinki, Central/Chubu, Kyushu-Okinawa, Tohoku, Chugoku, Hokkaido and Shikoku.
- The competitive landscape of the market has been examined, with some of the key players being Rakuten Edy, Inc., Quo Card Co. Ltd., PASMO Association, Aeon Credit Service Co. Ltd., East Japan Railway Corp., West Japan Railway Company, Seven & I Holdings Co. Ltd. and Nippon Tosho Fukyu Co Ltd.
IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
IMARC’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
Phone No: (D) +91 120 433 0800 | www.imarcgroup.com
Americas :- +1 631 791 1145 | Africa and Europe :- +44-702-409-7331