The UAE LED lights market reached a value of AED 2,354 Million in 2019. A light-emitting diode (LED) is defined as a semiconductor device that generates light when an electric current passes through it. LEDs are described as modern technology and are used for energy-efficient lighting. They significantly help in reducing electricity bills by using nearly 85% lesser energy than incandescent or halogen lights. Also, LED lights have a longer lifespan, are durable and offer better light quality. Owing to these properties, these lighting systems are currently employed in a wide variety of industrial and home products, such as modular lighting, refrigerated case lighting, task lighting, kitchen under-cabinet lighting, and recessed downlights. In the United Arab Emirates (UAE), such systems have been gaining immense traction on account of numerous infrastructure projects and the growing awareness regarding the usage of energy-efficient systems. Looking forward, IMARC Group estimates the market to reach a value of AED 5,528 Million by 2025, registering a CAGR of around 15.1% during 2020-2025.
Over the past five years, the LED lighting industry has witnessed exponential growth in the country driven by the reviving real estate market. Some of the leading projects and initiatives, which have been fueling this growth are mentioned below:
- In 2016, a nationwide campaign, called ‘I LED the way,’ was launched by the Emirates Authority for Standardisation and Metrology (ESMA), Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank (ADCB), and Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (Dewa). The 12-month eco-program aimed towards organizing community engagement, awareness campaigns and green initiatives. During this time, all high efficiency LED lighting products, certified by ESMA, were sold at a discount of 25% at selected Dubai retailers.
- In 2018, Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) collaborated with the Netherlands-based LED lighting solutions provider, Philips Lighting, to launch ‘intelligent’ cycling track and pedestrian lighting system at Jumeirah Corniche. The solution utilizes specialized sensors that help in controlling the light intensity and monitoring the traffic movement on the road.
- In 2018, the UAE-based real estate master developer, Dubai Properties (DP), launched energy efficiency retrofit solutions to reduce power costs at its Business Bay Executive Towers. It spent approximately US$ 272,000 to install energy-saving systems across eleven buildings in its community. It partnered with the US-based conglomerate, Honeywell, and Signify, a subsidiary of Philips Lighting. During this partnership, Signify delivered LED lighting in the residential car parks and buildings, and retrofitted nearly 16,000 lights.
- In 2019, the UAE-based customizable solutions provider, Ras Al Khaimah Economic Zone (RAKEZ), signed a contract with the UAE-based energy efficiency solutions provider, Smart4Power, to introduce a retrofit project that covers nine buildings, including a district cooling plant. According to the agreement, Smart4Power will take several energy and water conservation measures, such as LED light replacements, the addition of adiabatic cooling for chillers, improvement of cooling systems, and installation of water-saving devices.
Breakup by Product Type:
- LED Panel Lights
- LED Downlights
- LED Street Lights
At present, LED panel lights are the most preferred product category in the country, accounting for the largest share.
Breakup by Application:
Amongst these, the majority of lighting systems are installed in commercial spaces.
Breakup by Import and Domestic Manufacturing:
- Domestic Manufacturing
Currently, imports exhibit a clear dominance in the UAE LED lights market.
The competitive landscape of the market has been examined in the report and the profiles of key players have also been provided.
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the UAE LED lights market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the major application segments?
- What are the key product types?
- What is the breakup of the market on the basis of import and domestic manufacturing?
- What are the various stages in the value chain of the UAE LED lights industry?
- What are the key driving factors and challenges in the UAE LED lights industry?
- What is the structure of the UAE LED lights industry and who are the key players?
- What is the degree of competition in the UAE LED lights industry?
- What are the profit margins in the UAE LED lights industry?
- What are the key requirements for setting up a LED lights manufacturing plant?
- How are LED lights manufactured?
- What are the various unit operations involved in a LED lights manufacturing plant?
- What is the total size of land required for setting up a LED lights manufacturing plant?
- What are the machinery requirements for setting up a LED lights manufacturing plant?
- What are the raw material requirements for setting up a LED lights manufacturing plant?
- What are the packaging requirements for LED lights?
- What are the transportation requirements for LED lights?
- What are the utility requirements for setting up a LED lights manufacturing plant?
- What are the manpower requirements for setting up a LED lights manufacturing plant?
- What are the infrastructure costs for setting up a LED lights manufacturing plant?
- What are the capital costs for setting up a LED lights manufacturing plant?
- What are the operating costs for setting up a LED lights manufacturing plant?
- What will be the income and expenditures for a LED lights manufacturing plant?
- What is the time required to break-even?