The global medical coatings market size reached US$ 1.74 Billion in 2022. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 4.82 Billion by 2028, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 17.10% during 2023-2028. The increasing demand for medical devices, significant growth in the healthcare industry, and the rising expenditure capacities of consumers represent some of the key factors driving the market.
|Market Size in 2022
||US$ 1.74 Billion
|Market Forecast in 2028
||US$ 4.82 Billion
|Market Growth Rate (2023-2028)
Medical coatings refer to a process of applying lubrication to medical devices or implants to improve their performance and safety. Hydrophilic, anti-microbial, and anti-thrombogenic are some of the commonly used medical coatings. They are widely used in medical devices, implants, equipment, tools, cannulas, blades, anvils, and diagnostic probes. Medical coatings exhibit enhanced durability, weldability, waterproofing, air-holding capabilities, and flame, thermal, and abrasion resistance. These coatings help to protect medical devices from corrosion, improve their biocompatibility, prevent the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms on medical devices, and reduce the risk of infection. Besides this, medical coatings also assist in improving the safety, efficacy, and longevity of medical devices and implants, thus helping to improve patient outcomes and quality of life.
Medical Coatings Market Trends:
The increasing demand for medical devices due to the rising prevalence of chronic diseases, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and acute lower respiratory infections, across the globe is one of the key factors driving the market growth. Medical coatings are widely used to improve the performance and durability of these devices. In line with this, the rising incidences of hospital-acquired infections (HAI) through the use of devices that are contaminated and hence, require medical device coating, which can prevent HAIs, is favoring the market growth. Moreover, the widespread utilization of hydrophilic lubricious coatings in several cardiovascular and urology catheters, sheaths, and short-term implanted devices, as it induces biocompatibility, is acting as another growth-inducing factor. Apart from this, the introduction of nano coatings and biocompatible coatings that offer improved performance and durability and are more effective in preventing infections and enhancing the properties of medical devices is providing an impetus to the market growth. Additionally, the widespread adoption of medical coating on surfaces, such as door handles, countertops, and medical devices to reduce the risk of infection and prevent the spread of COVID-19 is propelling the market growth. Furthermore, the growing inclination toward minimally invasive surgeries (MIS) that require specialized medical devices with advanced coatings to improve lubricity, biocompatibility, and drug delivery properties is creating a positive outlook for the market. Other factors, including rising expenditure capacities of consumers, significant expansion in the healthcare industry, rapid product innovations, the increasing demand for antimicrobial coatings, extensive research and development (R&D) activities, and the implementation of various government initiatives to ensure the safety and efficacy of medical coatings are anticipated to drive the market growth.
Key Market Segmentation:
IMARC Group provides an analysis of the key trends in each segment of the global medical coatings market report, along with forecasts at the global, regional, and country levels for 2023-2028. Our report has categorized the market based on type, material type, and application.
- Hydrophilic Coating
- Anti-Microbial Coating
- Anti-Thrombogenic Coating
The report has provided a detailed breakup and analysis of the medical coatings market based on the type. This includes hydrophilic, anti-microbial, anti-thrombogenic coating, and others. According to the report, hydrophilic coating represented the largest segment.
Material Type Insights:
A detailed breakup and analysis of the medical coatings market based on the material type has also been provided in the report. This includes polymers, metals, and others. According to the report, polymers accounted for the largest market share.
- Medical Device
- Medical Implants
- Medical Equipment and Tools
The report has provided a detailed breakup and analysis of the medical coatings market based on the application. This includes medical device, medical implants, medical equipment and tools and others. According to the report, medical devices represented the largest segment.
- North America
- United Kingdom
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The report has also provided a comprehensive analysis of all the major regional markets, which include North America (the United States and Canada); Europe (Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, and others); Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, and others); Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and others); and the Middle East and Africa. According to the report, North America was the largest market for medical coatings. Some of the factors driving the North America medical coatings market included the growing expenditure capacities of consumers, the increasing demand for medical devices, and the widespread adoption of antimicrobial coatings.
The report has also provided a comprehensive analysis of the competitive landscape in the global medical coatings market. Competitive analysis such as market structure, market share by key players, player positioning, top winning strategies, competitive dashboard, and company evaluation quadrant has been covered in the report. Also, detailed profiles of all major companies have been provided. Some of the companies covered include Applied Medical Coatings LLC, AST Products Inc., Biocoat Incorporated, Harland Medical Systems Inc., Hydromer Inc., Koninklijke DSM N.V., Medicoat AG, Merit Medical Systems Inc., Precision Coating Company Inc. (Katahdin Industries Inc.), Specialty Coating Systems Inc. (Kisco Ltd.), SurModics Inc., etc. Kindly note that this only represents a partial list of companies, and the complete list has been provided in the report.
|Base Year of the Analysis
| Historical Period
|Scope of the Report
||Exploration of Historical and Forecast Trends, Industry Catalysts and Challenges, Segment-Wise Historical and Predictive Market Assessment:
- Material Type
||Hydrophilic Coating, Anti-Microbial Coating, Anti-Thrombogenic Coating, Others
|Material Types Covered
||Polymers, Metals, Others
||Medical Device, Medical Implants, Medical Equipment and Tools, Others
||Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East and Africa
||United States, Canada, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico
||Applied Medical Coatings LLC, AST Products Inc., Biocoat Incorporated, Harland Medical Systems Inc., Hydromer Inc., Koninklijke DSM N.V., Medicoat AG, Merit Medical Systems Inc., Precision Coating Company Inc. (Katahdin Industries Inc.), Specialty Coating Systems Inc. (Kisco Ltd.), SurModics Inc., etc.
||10% Free Customization
|Report Price and Purchase Option
||Single User License: US$ 2499
Five User License: US$ 3499
Corporate License: US$ 4499
|Post-Sale Analyst Support
||PDF and Excel through Email (We can also provide the editable version of the report in PPT/Word format on special request)
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the global medical coatings market performed so far, and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the global medical coatings market?
- What is the impact of each driver, restraint, and opportunity on the global medical coatings market?
- What are the key regional markets?
- Which countries represent the most attractive medical coatings market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the type?
- Which is the most attractive type in the medical coatings market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the material type?
- Which is the most attractive material type in the medical coatings market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the application?
- Which is the most attractive application in the medical coatings market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the end user?
- Which is the most attractive end user in the medical coatings market?
- What is the competitive structure of the global medical coatings market?
- Who are the key players/companies in the global medical coatings market?
Key Benefits for Stakeholders:
- IMARC’s report offers a comprehensive quantitative analysis of various market segments, historical and current market trends, market forecasts, and dynamics of the medical coatings market from 2017-2028.
- The research study provides the latest information on the market drivers, challenges, and opportunities in the global medical coatings market.
- The study maps the leading, as well as the fastest-growing, regional markets. It further enables stakeholders to identify the key country-level markets within each region.
- Porter's five forces analysis assist stakeholders in assessing the impact of new entrants, competitive rivalry, supplier power, buyer power, and the threat of substitution. It helps stakeholders to analyze the level of competition within the medical coatings industry and its attractiveness.
- Competitive landscape allows stakeholders to understand their competitive environment and provides an insight into the current positions of key players in the market.