The global semiconductor gases market size reached US$ 9.3 Billion in 2022. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 14.07 Billion by 2028, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 7.23% during 2023-2028. The proliferation of IoT devices resulting in an augmenting demand for semiconductor devices, increasing focus on energy efficiency in semiconductor manufacturing, and the implementation of stringent quality and safety standards in the manufacturing facilities are some of the major factors propelling the market.
|Market Size in 2022
||US$ 9.3 Billion
|Market Forecast in 2028
||US$ 14.07 Billion
|Market Growth Rate (2023-2028)
Semiconductor gases are specific gases used in the semiconductor industry during the fabrication of semiconductor devices for various purposes such as etching, deposition, cleaning, and doping. Semiconductor gases possess characteristics such as high purity, stability, non-reactivity, and controlled delivery. They function by enabling the formation of thin films, selectively removing layers, and introducing controlled impurities in semiconductor materials to create device structures, define circuit features, and alter electrical properties. Additionally, they ensure contamination-free processes with consistent chemical composition and flow rates for reliable semiconductor device fabrication.
The global market is majorly driven by the proliferation of IoT devices resulting in an augmenting demand for semiconductor devices. In line with this, the rapid expansion of the electronics manufacturing sector, particularly in emerging economies, is contributing to the market growth. Also, the implementation of stringent quality and safety standards by the government to prevent contamination and maintain a controlled manufacturing environment is fueling the market. Furthermore, extensive research and development (R&D) activities to integrate innovative materials such as gallium nitride (GaN) and silicon carbide (SiC) and technologies is creating a positive outlook for the market. Apart from this, shifting preference towards smaller nanoscale semiconductor structures and the rise of 3D chip packaging is propelling the demand for specific semiconductor gases to cater to these emerging trends. Some of the other factors contributing to the market include the adoption of energy-efficient low-power plasma etching and deposition techniques, increasing focus on sustainable development and rising number of cloud computing and data centers.
Semiconductor Gases Market Trends/Drivers:
Continual Technological Developments in the Semiconductor Industry
Several technological shifts as well as emerging trends in the semiconductor gases industry are driving the growth of this market. The semiconductor industry is undergoing transformational changes, such as the adoption of smaller nanoscale semiconductor structures, are resulting in a growing demand for semiconductor gases tailored specifically to meet these trends. Furthermore, 3D chip packaging has been on the rise in recent years, necessitating the use of specialized gases for the advancement of packaging techniques. To support these emerging trends and to ensure the optimal performance of their cutting-edge semiconductor devices, semiconductor manufacturers require a wide range of gases to support these technological advancements and ensure their cutting-edge semiconductor devices continue to flourish and develop. These gases must also meet stringent quality requirements, so as to ensure the optimal performance of the devices. As a resilt, the supply of specialty gases is essential to keep up with the latest developments in semiconductor technology.
Increasing focus on energy efficiency in semiconductor manufacturing
There is an increasing focus on energy efficiency in semiconductor manufacturing, which is acting as another factor that influences the semiconductor gases market. The consumption of energy by manufacturers has become a significant concern, leading them to adopt energy-efficient processes in order to reduce energy consumption. Gases used in semiconductor manufacturing play a critical role in the development of low-power plasma etching and deposition techniques, which are crucial for energy savings during the manufacturing process. There has been a significant increase in the demand for gases in recent years due to a greater emphasis being placed on sustainable practices and environmentally friendly practices. In order to achieve this goal, the enterprise is aligned with the industry's commitment to reduce its carbon footprint and to operate in an environmentally responsible way.
Growing demand for renewable energy technologies
The growing demand for renewable energy technologies, such as solar photovoltaics (PV) and wind power, has a direct impact on the semiconductor gases market. Besides providing crucial components for the manufacture of solar cells, semiconductors are also essential in the production of wind turbines. Manufacturing and manufacturing these renewable energy devices require semiconductor gases. The global movement towards renewable energy sources is accelerating at a rapid pace, and more and more semiconductor gases are being needed to support the expansion of these technologies to support the continued use of cleaner energy sources. In addition to being crucial to the production of efficient and sustainable energy solutions, semiconductor gases play a crucial role in driving demand for these gases in the future.
Semiconductor Gases Industry Segmentation:
IMARC Group provides an analysis of the key trends in each segment of the global semiconductor gases market report, along with forecasts at the global, regional, and country levels from 2023-2028. Our report has categorized the market based on type, process, and application.
Breakup by Type:
- Bulk Gases
- Electronic Special Gases (ESGs)
Electronic Special Gases (ESGs) dominates the semiconductor gases market
The report has provided a detailed breakup and analysis of the semiconductor gases market based on the type. This includes bulk gases (nitrogen, oxygen, argon, helium, hydrogen, and carbon di-oxide) and electronic special gases (ESGs) (chlorine, ammonia, silicon, and others). According to the report, electronic special gases (ESGs) represented the largest segment.
ESGs are mostly preferred due to the augmenting demand for smaller, faster, and more powerful electronic devices. ESGs, such as high-purity gases, are essential for the fabrication processes involved in semiconductor manufacturing, including deposition, etching, and cleaning. These gases enable the production of high-performance chips and integrated circuits required for these applications. With semiconductor devices becoming more complex, there is a growing need for specialized gases that can meet the stringent requirements of advanced processes.
On the other hand, the adoption of bulk gases such as nitrogen, oxygen, argon, and helium for cleaning, purging, and inerting processes is driving the segment growth. Moreover, the rising number of new semiconductor fabrication plants and the expansion of existing facilities are also contributing to the demand for bulk gases.
Breakup by Process:
- Chamber Cleaning
Chamber cleaning dominates the semiconductor gases market
The report has provided a detailed breakup and analysis of the semiconductor gases market based on the process. This includes chamber cleaning, oxidation, deposition, etching, doping, and others. According to the report, chamber cleaning represented the largest segment.
The emerging trend toward smaller and more densely packed semiconductor devices is resulting in the accelerating need for advanced cleaning processes to remove contaminants and particles. Since chamber cleaning processes help maintain the integrity and reliability of semiconductor fabrication by ensuring clean and contamination-free environments, it is hugely preferred in manufacturing facilities. With the development of advanced device architectures, such as FinFETs and 3D NAND memory, there has been a raid utilization of chamber cleaning processes for removing residues and contaminants from complex structures.
On the other hand, the rising complexity in semiconductor manufacturing is resulting in an augmented need for precise and controlled processes such as oxidation, deposition, etching, and doping to fabricate advanced, high-performance chips. Also, the widespread adoption of semiconductor devices in industries such as automotive, healthcare, and aerospace is propelling the demand for specialized processes to tailor the semiconductor properties.
Breakup by Application:
Logic holds the majority of the market share
A detailed breakup and analysis of the semiconductor gases market based on the application has also been provided in the report. This includes memory, logic, and others. According to the report, logic accounted for the largest market share.
The main factors that are driving the growth of this segment are the escalating demand for high-performance logic chips for applications such as data centers, AI, and cloud computing. Also, continual technological advancements in logic chip design and fabrication, including the development of smaller transistor sizes, is driving the growth of this segment. Furthermore, the expansion of emerging applications, such as autonomous vehicles, virtual reality, and artificial intelligence, is also leading to an increased demand for logic chips.
On the other hand, the exponential growth in data generation and consumption is fueling the demand for memory devices such as DRAM (Dynamic Random-Access Memory) and NAND Flash memory, which is propelling the segment growth. Also, the rapid expansion of data centers across the globe is contributing to the segment growth.
Breakup by Region:
- North America
- United Kingdom
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
Asia Pacific exhibits a clear dominance, accounting for the largest semiconductor gases market share
The report has also provided a comprehensive analysis of all the major regional markets, which include North America (the United States and Canada); Europe (Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, and others); Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, and others); Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and others); and the Middle East and Africa.
Asia Pacific held the biggest market share since the region has been experiencing a significant growth in the semiconductor industry. As a result, increasing demand for electronic and smart devices is driving a large-scale demand for semiconductor gases in this region.
Another contributing aspect is the growing establishment of semiconductor fabrication facilities, particularly in countries such as China, South Korea, and Taiwan. The Asia-Pacific region has one of the largest consumer bases for various consumer electronic products, including smartphones, televisions, and various home appliances, which is fueling the region’s market growth.
Furthermore, government bodies and regulatory authorities in the Asia-Pacific region are introducing favorable initiatives for the development of the semiconductor industry, which is stimulating the growth of the semiconductor gases market in the Asia-Pacific region.
The top players in the market are investing significantly in R&D activities to develop new and advanced semiconductor gases to meet the evolving requirements. They are focusing on developing gases with higher purity, improved performance, and enhanced environmental sustainability due to the rising environmental on the global level. The key companies are also entering into strategic collaborations and partnerships with semiconductor manufacturers, equipment suppliers, and research institutions to expand their product offerings and penetrate new markets. Furthermore, the major players are implementing robust quality management systems to adhere to global standards to ensure the consistency, reliability, and safety of their products.
The report has provided a comprehensive analysis of the competitive landscape in the global semiconductor gases market. Detailed profiles of all major companies have also been provided. Some of the key players in the global semiconductor gases market include:
- Air Products and Chemicals Inc.
- American Gas Products
- Electronic Fluorocarbons LLC
- Gruppo SIAD (Praxair Inc.)
- Iwatani Corporation
- Messer SE & Co. KGaA
- Mitsui Chemicals Inc.
- REC Silicon ASA
- Sumitomo Seika Chemicals Company Ltd.
- Taiyo Nippon Sanso JFP Corporation
- In June 2023, Air Products published their 2023 sustainability report named “Sustainability in Action" highlighting the role of clean hydrogen in the energy transition. Several world-scale projects are detailed in the report, and the company's industrial gases portfolio and expertise help customers reduce their environmental impact.
- In March 2022, Electronic Fluorocarbons entered into a joint research program with University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL), focusing on evaluation of low global warming (low-GWP) fluorocarbons as sustainable replacements for incumbent fluorocarbons (FCs) and hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) for critical etching applications in semiconductor materials processing.
- In May 2022, Iwatani Corporation of America and Suburban Propane Partners, L.P., a major distributor of propane and renewable energy, announced a collaboration to promote the use of low-carbon alternative energy solutions, including propane blended with renewable dimethyl ether (Propane+rDME). Their collaboration is also focused on exploring opportunities for hydrogen infrastructure and transportation investments in the United States.
Semiconductor Gases Market Report Scope:
|Base Year of the Analysis
| Historical Period
|Scope of the Report
||Exploration of Historical and Forecast Trends, Industry Catalysts and Challenges, Segment-Wise Historical and Predictive Market Assessment:
- Bulk Gases: Nitrogen, Oxygen, Argon, Helium, Hydrogen, Carbon Di-Oxide
- Electronic Special Gases (ESGs): Chlorine, Ammonia, Silicon, Others
||Chamber Cleaning, Oxidation, Deposition, Etching, Doping, Others
||Memory, Logic, Others
||Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East and Africa
||United States, Canada, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico
||Air Products and Chemicals Inc., American Gas Products, Electronic Fluorocarbons LLC, Gruppo SIAD (Praxair Inc.), Iwatani Corporation, Messer SE & Co. KGaA, Mitsui Chemicals Inc., REC Silicon ASA, Solvay, Sumitomo Seika Chemicals Company Ltd., Taiyo Nippon Sanso JFP Corporation, etc.
||10% Free Customization
|Report Price and Purchase Option
||Single User License: US$ 2499
Five User License: US$ 3499
Corporate License: US$ 4499
|Post-Sale Analyst Support
||PDF and Excel through Email (We can also provide the editable version of the report in PPT/Word format on special request)
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the global semiconductor gases market performed so far, and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the global semiconductor gases market?
- What is the impact of each driver, restraint, and opportunity on the global semiconductor gases market?
- What are the key regional markets?
- Which countries represent the most attractive semiconductor gases market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the type?
- Which is the most attractive type in the semiconductor gases market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the process?
- Which is the most attractive process in the semiconductor gases market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the application?
- Which is the most attractive application in the semiconductor gases market?
- What is the competitive structure of the global semiconductor gases market?
- Who are the key players/companies in the global semiconductor gases market?
Key Benefits for Stakeholders:
- IMARC’s report offers a comprehensive quantitative analysis of various market segments, historical and current market trends, market forecasts, and dynamics of the semiconductor gases market from 2017-2028.
- The research study provides the latest information on the market drivers, challenges, and opportunities in the global semiconductor gases market.
- The study maps the leading, as well as the fastest-growing, regional markets. It further enables stakeholders to identify the key country-level markets within each region.
- Porter's five forces analysis assist stakeholders in assessing the impact of new entrants, competitive rivalry, supplier power, buyer power, and the threat of substitution. It helps stakeholders to analyze the level of competition within the semiconductor gases industry and its attractiveness.
- Competitive landscape allows stakeholders to understand their competitive environment and provides an insight into the current positions of key players in the market.