Cross-laminated timber, or CLT, is an engineered wood product which is made by stacking layers of wood panels in perpendicular directions and fastening them together. This cross-wise arrangement helps in increasing the structural strength, load-bearing capacity, dimensional stability and rigidity of the wood panels while reducing their shrinkage and swelling. CLT was first developed in Europe during the early 1990s and has now come to represent an important construction material in the region. It is used for a number of residential and commercial applications, either in combination with other building materials and wood products, or as standalone system. According to the latest report by IMARC Group, titled, “European Cross-Laminated Timber Market: Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2017-2022”, the European CLT market reached a production volume of around 725,000 Cubic Metres, exhibiting a CAGR of more than 13% during 2009-2016.
CLT represents an inexpensive, flexible and time-saving substitute to conventional construction materials such as concrete, steel and masonry. This is a result of the prefabrication of CLT according to the desired dimensions and shapes which reduces on-site waste as well as saves installation time. Moreover, it represents an environment-friendly and sustainable building material as it is made of wood. CLT panels also help in reducing the amount of carbon dioxide present in the environment by trapping more than 1500 kg of CO2 per ton. The manufacturing and transportation of CLT produce lesser pollution as compared to the conventional building materials.
One of the major factors which has facilitated the demand for CLT in the European region is the green building movement which requires constructors to use sustainable and eco-friendly construction material. Amendments in the International Building Code 2015 allowing the use of CLT for large building has also helped in expanding the market. Enhanced marketing and increasing awareness about the advantages of CLT along with improved distribution channels represent some of the other growth inducing factors. As a result, the European CLT market is further expected to reach a production volume of around 1.2 Million cubic metres by 2022.
The report has segmented the European CLT market on the basis of application. Some of the key application areas of CLT include educational institutes, residential, commercial spaces, and government and public buildings. On the regional basis, the report has segmented the market into Austria, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Spain, Norway, Sweden and the United Kingdom. Amongst these, Austria represents the largest producer accounting for the majority of the total production. The report has also analysed the competitive landscape of the market with some of the key players being Stora Enso, KLH, Binderholz, Mayr Melnhof and Hasslacher.
The report provides a techno-commercial roadmap for setting up a cross-laminated timber manufacturing plant. The study, which has been done by one of the world’s leading research and advisory firms, covers all the requisite aspects of the European cross-laminated timber market. This ranges from macro overview of the market to micro details of the industry performance, processing and manufacturing requirements, project cost, project funding, project economics, expected returns on investment, profit margins, etc. It also offers SWOT, Value Chain and Porter’s Five Forces analysis followed by an analysis of the competitive landscape. This report is a must-read for entrepreneurs, investors, researchers, consultants, business strategists, and all those who are planning to foray into the European cross-laminated timber market in any manner.
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the European cross laminated timber market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the key regional markets in the European cross laminated timber industry?
- What are the price trends of cross laminated timber?
- What are the various stages in the value chain of the cross laminated timber industry?
- What are the key driving factors and challenges in the cross laminated timber industry?
- What is the structure of the cross laminated timber industry and who are the key players?
- What is the degree of competition in the cross laminated timber industry?
- What are the profit margins in the cross laminated timber industry?
- What are the key requirements for setting up a cross laminated timber manufacturing plant?
- How is cross laminated timber manufactured?
- What are the various unit operations involved in a cross laminated timber plant?
- What is the total size of land required for setting up a cross laminated timber plant?
- What are the machinery requirements for setting up a cross laminated timber plant?
- What are the raw material requirements for setting up a cross laminated timber plant?
- What are the packaging requirements for cross laminated timber?
- What are the transportation requirements for cross laminated timber?
- What are the utility requirements for setting up a cross laminated timber plant?
- What are the manpower requirements for setting up a cross laminated timber plant?
- What are the infrastructure costs for setting up a cross laminated timber plant?
- What are the capital costs for setting up a cross laminated timber plant?
- What are the operating costs for setting up a cross laminated timber plant?
- What will be the income and expenditures for a cross laminated timber plant?
- What is the time required to break-even?