The global cement market reached a volume of more than 5 Billion Tons in 2018. The market is further projected to reach around 6.2 Billion Tons by 2024, exhibiting a CAGR of around 3.5% during 2019-2024. Cement is a grey-coloured inorganic substance which is often lime- or calcium silicate-based. Apart from this, it also contains chalk, iron ore, bauxite, shell, clay, marl, slate, shale, etc. A mixture of this fine powder, water, sand and gravel is used in masonry as it results into a rock-like substance. There are two kinds of cement available, namely hydraulic and non-hydraulic cement. Hydraulic cement reacts with water to set whereas non-hydraulic cement reacts with carbon in the surroundings. Cement represents one of the essential commodities used in the construction industry.
Global Cement Market Drivers/Constraints:
- One of the major factors driving the growth of the cement market is the revival of the construction industry. This has resulted into a surge in the commercial, residential and infrastructural projects including offices, housing complexes, dams, tunnels and bridges, in turn, boosting the consumption of cement.
- Mega infrastructure projects, such as China’s One Belt and One Road (OBOR) and Malaysia’s East Coast Rail Link project to link its eastern and western regions, are further likely to stir up the consumption of cement. Some of the other growth-inducing factors include industrialisation, rising population and increasing purchasing power of the consumers.
- The production of cement is associated with various health hazards such as lung and lip cancer since it contains carcinogenic components. This is one of the major factors posing a threat to the growth of the cement market.
On the basis of type, the market has been bifurcated into blended, portland and others. Currently, blended cement holds the largest market share. It is a blend of OPC and other mineral admixtures or additives like fly ash, slag and silica fumes.
Based on end-use, the market has been segregated into residential, commercial and infrastructure segments. Amongst these, the residential segment accounts for the majority of the total market share. This can be accredited to the rising global population which has boosted the demand for new residential buildings.
On a geographical front, Asia Pacific enjoys the leading position in the global cement market. The increasing number of nuclear families and rising household incomes have created a positive demand for shelter, thereby bolstering the growth of the cement market in the region. Other major regions include North America, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East and Africa.
The market is highly fragmented with the presence of numerous small and large manufacturers. Some of the leading players operating in the market are:
- Anhui Conch
- Jidong Development
- Lafarge Holcim
- Heidelberg Cement
This report provides a deep insight into the global cement industry covering all its essential aspects. This ranges from macro overview of the market to micro details of the industry performance, recent trends, key market drivers and challenges, SWOT analysis, Porter’s five forces analysis, value chain analysis, etc. The report also provides a comprehensive analysis for setting up a cement manufacturing plant. The study analyses the processing and manufacturing requirements, project cost, project funding, project economics, expected returns on investment, profit margins, etc. This report is a must-read for entrepreneurs, investors, researchers, consultants, business strategists, and all those who have any kind of stake or are planning to foray into the cement industry in any manner.
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the global cement market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the key regional markets in the global cement industry?
- What are the key end-use segments in the global cement industry?
- What are the key product types in the global cement industry?
- What are the various stages in the value chain of the global cement industry?
- What are the key driving factors and challenges in the global cement industry?
- What is the structure of the global cement industry and who are the key players?
- What is the degree of competition in the global cement industry?
- What are the profit margins in the global cement industry?
- What are the key requirements for setting up a cement manufacturing plant?
- How is cement manufactured?
- What are the various unit operations involved in a cement manufacturing plant?
- What is the total size of land required for setting up a cement manufacturing plant?
- What are the machinery requirements for setting up a cement manufacturing plant?
- What are the raw material requirements for setting up a cement manufacturing plant?
- What are the packaging requirements for cement?
- What are the transportation requirements for cement?
- What are the utility requirements for setting up a cement manufacturing plant?
- What are the manpower requirements for setting up a cement manufacturing plant?
- What are the infrastructure costs for setting up a cement manufacturing plant?
- What are the capital costs for setting up a cement manufacturing plant?
- What are the operating costs for setting up a cement manufacturing plant?
- What will be the income and expenditures for a cement manufacturing plant?
- What is the time required to break-even?