The GCC flexible packaging market reached a value of US$ 1.5 Billion in 2017. Flexible packaging refers to any package that is made up of flexible and easy yielding materials that has no rigid structure of its own (such as hard plastics), but actually conforms – and follows the contours of – the product that is enclosed within it. Flexible packaging may include bags, pouches, liners, plastic, film, aluminum foil, metalized or coated paper or film, or any combination of these materials. Flexible packaging currently represents the fastest growing segment of the packaging industry and is used for consumer and institutional products and in industrial applications, to protect, market, and distribute a vast array of products.
The market for flexible packaging is currently exhibiting strong growth in the GCC region largely driven by a continuous growth in its end use sectors such as food, retail, consumer goods, pharmaceuticals, etc. Catalyzed by rising levels of urbanization, changing dietary habits, large expatriate population and increasing penetration of organized retail formats such as hypermarkets and supermarkets, the processed and packaged food market in the GCC region is currently exhibiting strong growth. Moreover, driven by economic growth and rising personnel disposable incomes, the retail and consumer goods market in the region is also experiencing strong growth. Additionally, the rising prevalence of various chronic and acute diseases coupled with increasing geriatric population is driving the demand of pharmaceuticals in the region.
Flexible packaging offers numerous advantages over rigid packaging. It helps in extending the shelf life of various products, particularly food, and has a positive sustainability profile. Flexible packaging also requires lower energy to produce and to transport, and generates lower quantities of greenhouse gases. Additionally, it also offers convenience to consumers as it is light-weight, easy to open, carry, store, and reseal. All the major traditional benefits of rigid packaging can be realized from flexible packaging with the added advantages of lower cost and greater flexibility. The GCC flexible packaging market is further projected to reach a value of US$ 2.4 Billion by 2023, expanding at a CAGR of more than 8% during 2018-2023.
Based on the region, the market has been segmented into Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman, Kuwait, Bahrain and Qatar. Currently, Saudi Arabia dominates the total GCC flexible packaging market.
Raw Material Type Insights:
Based on the raw material, the market has been segmented into polymer, paper and foil. Polymers currently represent the most popular raw material.
Product Type Insights:
Based on the product type, pouches and bags represent the biggest segment followed by squeezable bottles.
Based on the application, the food and beverages industry dominates the flexible packaging market. The Food and beverages sector is followed by non-food products, consumer products, pharmaceuticals and others.
Printing Technology Insights:
On the basis of printing technology, the market has been segmented into rotogravure, flexography, offset, digital and others. Amongst these, rotogravure currently represents the most popular printing technology.
The report has also analysed the competitive landscape of the GCC flexible packaging market. Some of the key players include:
- Arabian Packaging
- Integrated Packaging
- Emirates Printing Press
- Emirates Technopack
- Fujairah Plastics
- Amber Packaging Industries LLC
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the GCC flexible packaging market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the key regional markets in the GCC flexible packaging industry?
- What are the major application segments in the GCC flexible packaging industry?
- What are the major raw materials in the GCC flexible packaging industry?
- What are the key product types in the GCC flexible packaging industry?
- What are the key printing technologies in the GCC flexible packaging industry?
- What are the price trends of flexible packaging in the GCC region?
- What are the various stages in the value chain of the GCC flexible packaging market?
- What are the key driving factors and challenges in the GCC flexible packaging market?
- What is the structure of the GCC flexible packaging market and who are the key players?
- What is the degree of competition in the GCC flexible packaging market?
- How is flexible packaging manufactured?