The latest report by IMARC Group, titled “Cell-Based Assay Market: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity, and Forecast 2022-2027,” finds that the global cell-based assay market size reached US$ 18.9 Billion in 2021. Cell-based assay or cellular assay is an analytical method to determine the concentration of a substance by observing its effects on living organisms (in vivo) or tissues (in vitro). It provides a closer representation of the real-life model, which helps to verify the biological activity of drugs and determine whether the antibodies produced by the patient are neutralizing the drug. Owing to these properties, cell-based assays are widely adopted in biomedical research and drug-discovery screening for gene activation, cell signaling, cell proliferation, antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC), complement-dependent cytotoxicity (CDC), apoptosis, and necrosis.
We are regularly tracking the direct effect of COVID-19 on the market, along with the indirect influence of associated industries. These observations will be integrated into the report.
Global Cell-Based Assay Market Trends:
The market is primarily driven by the growing prevalence of chronic disorders such as cancer, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases. Nowadays, cell-based assays are widely used for screening mutagenesis in chronic myeloid leukemia. In addition, the rising adoption of cell-based assays in drug discovery represents another major growth-inducing factor. Besides this, with various technological advancements, researchers are using this technique for high throughput screening methods like toxicity studies, drug screening, and in vitro testing. This, coupled with extensive research and development (R&D) activities conducted by the leading players to formulate safer drugs, is propelling the market growth. Moreover, the introduction of 3D and label-free cell-based assays, the rising number of drug discovery companies, and huge investments in cell-based research activities are some of the other factors creating a favorable market outlook across the globe. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market value to reach US$ 31.4 Billion by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 8.78% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
- Based on the product and services, the market has been classified into consumables (reagents and media, cells and cell lines, and probes and labels), instruments (microplates, microplate readers, high throughput screening, and liquid handling systems), services, and software. Amongst these, consumables exhibit a clear dominance in the market.
- On the basis of technology, the market has been categorized into automated handling, flow cytometry, label-free-detection, high throughput screening, and others.
- Based on the application, the market has been segregated into drug discovery, basic research, ADME studies, predictive toxicology, and others. At present, drug discovery accounts for the majority of the global market share.
- On the basis of the end user, the market has been segmented into pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, academic and government institutions, contract research organizations, and others.
- Region-wise, North America holds the leading position in the market. Other major regions include Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa, and Latin America.
- The competitive landscape of the market has been studied in the report, with some of the key players being Becton Dickinson and Company, GE Healthcare Biopharma (Danaher Corporation), Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Merck Group, Perkinelmer Inc., Charles River Laboratories Inc., Lonza Group Ltd., Cell Signaling Technology Inc., Promega Corporation, Cell Biolabs Inc., Eurofins DiscoverX Corporation, Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc., Corning Inc. and F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG (Roche Holding AG).
IMARC Group is a leading market research company that offers management strategy and market research worldwide. We partner with clients in all sectors and regions to identify their highest-value opportunities, address their most critical challenges, and transform their businesses.
IMARC’s information products include major market, scientific, economic and technological developments for business leaders in pharmaceutical, industrial, and high technology organizations. Market forecasts and industry analysis for biotechnology, advanced materials, pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, travel and tourism, nanotechnology and novel processing methods are at the top of the company’s expertise.
Follow us on twitter : @imarcglobal