The Indian Biodegradable Sanitary napkin market is currently exhibiting healthy growth. Sanitary Napkin, also known as sanitary pad or menstrual pad is a thin or thick pad made up of super absorbent material that absorbs menstrual fluid during menstruation period. They play a key role in the women’s hygiene and overall health. They are available in various shapes and sizes with same effectiveness. These napkins can be of single use or can be reusable. Single use sanitary napkins are either made of non-biodegradable cellulosic fiber and plastics or biodegradable materials such as bamboo fiber, banana fiber, corn starch, water hyacinth, cotton etc.
Menstrual hygiene is a subject matter of deep concern in India where women, especially in rural areas face challenges in acquiring hygienic absorbents and develop health risks. Over the years, there has been a significant rise in the awareness levels regarding the benefits offered by biodegradable sanitary napkins. They are environmentally sustainable which can easily be disposed of in natural soil. Moreover, it reduces the chances of infection and skin irritation and they are cost effective as well. On the other hand, non-compostable napkins use chemicals like dioxins, furans, chlorines and fragrances which causes health issues and cannot be recycled and takes hundreds of years to degrade. Looking at this scenario and the non-availability of biodegradable napkins to a large number of women, particularly in rural areas, the government along with a number of social entrepreneurs and NGO’S have launched cost effective and subsidized biodegradable sanitary napkins. Additionally, manufacturers are also focusing on unique marketing strategies and value addition to differentiate their products in order to increase their consumer-base.
Market Break up by Material Type
Based on type, the market has been segmented as bamboo-corn, cotton, banana fibre and others. Bamboo corn currently dominates the market, holding the largest share.
Market Break up by Distribution Channel
On the basis of distribution channel, the market has been divided as online channels and offline channels. Offline holds the largest market share.
Market Break up by Region
Region-wise, the market has been segmented into Maharashtra, Gujrat, Delhi-NCR, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. Amongst these, Maharashtra is the leading market, accounting for the highest share.
The competitive landscape of the market has also been examined with some of the major players being:
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the Indian biodegradable sanitary napkin market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What is the breakup of the Indian biodegradable sanitary market based on the material type?
- What is the breakup of the Indian biodegradable sanitary market based on the distribution channel?
- What is the breakup of the Indian biodegradable sanitary market based on the region?
- What are the various stages in the value chain of the Indian biodegradable sanitary napkin market?
- What are the key driving factors and challenges in the Indian biodegradable sanitary napkin market?
- What is the structure of the Indian biodegradable sanitary napkin market and who are the key players?
- What is the degree of competition in the Indian biodegradable sanitary napkin market?