The Indian fertilizer market was worth INR 6,258 Billion in 2019. Fertilizers have played a key role in the success of India's green revolution and subsequent self-reliance in food-grain production. The increase in fertilizer consumption has contributed significantly to sustainable production of food grains in the country. As a result, the demand of fertilizers has witnessed double digit growth rates over the past several years. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the Indian fertilizer market to exhibit moderate growth during 2020-2025.
Despite a strong growth in recent years, the average intensity of fertilizer use in India remains much lower than most of the developed and emerging countries around the world. The usage of fertilizers is also highly skewed, with wide inter-regional, inter-state and inter-district variations.
Indian Fertilizer Market: Drivers
- Catalyzed by a strong growth in the country’s population over the next five years, food demand is also expected to exhibit a strong growth. Conversely, as a result of increasing urbanisation levels, available arable land is expected to decrease. We expect fertilizers to play a key role in increasing the average crop yields per hectare.
- Despite strong historical growth, fertilizer consumption in India remains highly skewed. There are currently a number of states in India which still have a very low penetration of fertilizers. This leaves a lot of room for future growth.
- We expect a number of government and non-government awareness campaigns to educate farmers on the benefits of fertilizers. Promotion of fertilizers through television, radio and customized rural workshops are also anticipated to increase the consumption of fertilizers in the coming years.
- Increasing rural incomes, coupled by easy availability of credit, are also likely to create a positive impact on fertilizer usage in the country.
- Contract farming, where inputs in terms of technology and training are expected to be provided to the farmer from the food processor (contractor), is also expected to create a positive impact on fertilizer usage.
- Based on the product type, the market has been segmented as chemical fertilizers and biofertilizers. Currently, chemical fertilizers dominate the market, holding the largest share.
- Based on the segment, the market has been segmented as complex fertilizers, DAP, MOP, urea and SSP. Currently, urea represents the largest type accounting for the majority of the market share.
- On the basis of formulation, the market has been segmented as liquid and dry. Dry fertilizers represent the leading segment holding the majority of the market share.
- Based on the application, the market has been segmented as farming and gardening. The farming applications currently dominate the market.
- On the basis of region, the market has been segmented as North India, South India, East India and West India. North India holds the leading position in the Indian fertilizer market.
- The competitive landscape of the market has also been examined in the report and the profiles of key players have also been provided.
This report provides a deep insight into the Indian fertilizer market covering all its essential aspects. This ranges from macro overview of the market to micro details of the industry performance, recent trends, key market drivers and challenges, SWOT analysis, Porter’s five forces analysis, value chain analysis, etc. This report is a must-read for entrepreneurs, investors, researchers, consultants, business strategists, and all those who have any kind of stake or are planning to foray into the Indian fertilizer industry in any manner.
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the Indian fertilizer market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What has been the impact of COVID-19 on the Indian fertilizer market?
- What is the breakup of the Indian fertilizer market on the basis of product type?
- What is the breakup of the Indian fertilizer market on the basis of key segments?
- What is the breakup of the Indian fertilizer market on the basis of formulation?
- What is the breakup of the Indian fertilizer market on the basis of application?
- What is the breakup of the Indian fertilizer market on the basis of region?
- What are the various stages in the value chain of the Indian fertilizer market?
- What are the key driving factors and challenges in the Indian fertilizer market?
- What is the structure of the Indian fertilizer market and who are the key players?
- What is the degree of competition in the Indian fertilizer market?
- How are fertilizers manufactured?