The global laser diode market reached a value of US$ 9.1 Billion in 2021. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 18.6 Billion by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 13.12% during 2022-2027. Keeping in mind the uncertainties of COVID-19, we are continuously tracking and evaluating the direct as well as the indirect influence of the pandemic on different end use industries. These insights are included in the report as a major market contributor.
A laser diode, also known as a diode laser, refers to a semiconductor device which generates coherent radiation in the visible or infrared (IR) spectrum when current passes through it. It is similar to a light-emitting diode, wherein a laser beam is created at the diode's junction. As the light consists of a single frequency, it can be focused on a very small point by using a simple lens system. Laser diodes are small in size, light in weight and have low power requirements which make them highly efficient in nature and ideal for portable electronic equipment. Due to this, they are used in various devices such as barcode readers, autonomous vehicles, laser printers, fiber optic communications and security systems.
Global Laser Diode Industry Drivers:
- Over the past few years, the demand for laser diodes in the healthcare sector has witnessed a growth. A laser diode can assist physicians to focus the beam with better precision on targeted areas, preventing any kind of damage to the surrounding area. As a result, the employment of semiconductor laser diodes is continuously expanding in the spine, cardiovascular and cataract surgeries. Besides this, laser diodes also find vast applications in hair removal, body contouring, LASIK surgery, skin resurfacing, tattoo removal, and wrinkle and pigmentation reduction.
- In the industrial sector, laser diodes are employed in material processing owing to their advantages like compact size, low maintenance, short wavelength and high-electrical efficiency. Material processing applications involve metal welding, metal hardening, laser brazing, cladding, and cutting of metals. As material processing forms an integral part of the manufacturing process in the automotive, aerospace, heavy engineering and consumer electronics industries, the demand for laser diodes is gaining momentum.
- Researchers and developers are continuously introducing innovations in the laser diode industry so as to provide more convenience and higher accuracy at a lower price point. For instance, Coherent, one of the major players in the market, has improved the usage of laser diodes by integrating a water chiller directly into the laser head.
- In the automotive industry, laser diodes are now being used in the manufacturing of automotive headlamps as they offer the driver improved visibility, resulting in increased road traffic safety. Apart from this, they also provide the longest range in comparison with any other current headlight technology. In the upcoming years, the sales of laser diodes are expected to rise significantly in this industry on account of mounting demand for luxury vehicles, driven by inflating income levels and improving living standards.
Key Market Segmentation:
IMARC Group provides an analysis of the key trends in each sub-segment of the global laser diode market, along with forecasts at the global and regional level from 2022-2027. Our report has categorized the market based on product type and application.
Breakup by Product Type:
- Injection Laser Diode (ILD)
- Optically Pumped Semiconductor Laser (OPSL)
On the basis of types, the market is bifurcated into injection laser diode (ILD) and optically pumped semiconductor laser (OPSL). Currently, injection laser diode represents the most popular product type, holding the majority of the market share.
Breakup by Application:
- Optical Storage and Communication
- Industrial Applications
- Medical Applications
- Military and Defence Applications
- Instrumentation and Sensor Applications
Based on applications, the global laser diode market is segregated as optical storage and communication, industrial applications, medical applications, military and defense applications, instrumentation and sensor applications and others. At present, industrial applications account for the majority of the market share, representing the biggest application area.
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
On a geographical front, Asia Pacific enjoys the leading position in the global laser diode market. Constant demand emerging for material processing in automotive, heavy industries and general manufacturing is contributing to the growth of the market in the region. Other major markets include North America, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East and Africa.
The market is fragmented in nature with the presence of numerous small and large manufacturers who compete against one another in terms of prices, quality, and innovation. Some of the leading players operating in the market are:
- IPG Photonics
- OSRAM Licht AG
- TRUMPF GmbH + Co. KG
- Jenoptik AG
This report provides a deep insight into the global laser diode market covering all its essential aspects. This ranges from macro overview of the market to micro details of the industry performance, recent trends, key market drivers and challenges, SWOT analysis, Porter’s five forces analysis, value chain analysis, etc. This report is a must-read for entrepreneurs, investors, researchers, consultants, business strategists, and all those who have any kind of stake or are planning to foray into the laser diode industry in any manner.
|Base Year of the Analysis
||Product Type, Application, Region
|| Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East and Africa
||Coherent, IPG Photonics, OSRAM Licht AG, TRUMPF GmbH + Co. KG and Jenoptik AG
||10% Free Customization
|Report Price and Purchase Option
||Single User License: US$ 2499
Five User License: US$ 3499
Corporate License: US$ 4499
|Post-Sale Analyst Support
||PDF and Excel through Email (We can also provide the editable version of the report in PPT/Word format on special request)
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the global laser diode market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the key regions in the global laser diode market?
- What has been the impact of COVID-19 on the global laser diode market?
- Which are the popular product types in the global laser diode market?
- What are the major application segments in the global laser diode market?
- What are the various stages in the value chain of the global laser diode market?
- What are the key driving factors and challenges in the global laser diode market?
- What is the structure of the global laser diode market and who are the key players?
- What is the degree of competition in the global laser diode market?
- How is laser diode manufactured?