The global serum-free media market size reached US$ 1.2 Billion in 2022. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 2.1 Billion by 2028, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 9.1% during 2023-2028. The rising instances of infectious and chronic diseases, increasing product adoption across the biotechnology and pharmaceutical sectors, and the escalating awareness about products’ multifarious benefits represent some of the key factors driving the market.
|Market Size in 2022
||US$ 1.2 Billion
|Market Forecast in 2028
||US$ 2.1 Billion
|Market Growth Rate (2023-2028)
Serum-free media (SFM) is a type of cell culture media that does not contain any animal-derived serum. Instead, it uses defined components, such as amino acids, vitamins, hormones, and growth factors, to support cell growth and proliferation. It allows researchers to perform selected applications in the absence of serum. SFM provides a more controlled environment for cell culture, as the defined components can be precisely controlled and adjusted to meet specific cell culture requirements. It offers several benefits, such as improved consistency in performance, increased cell growth and productivity, enhanced control over physiological responsiveness, and decreased risk of contamination by adventitious agents transmitted through serum in cell cultures. As a result, SFM is widely utilized in producing biopharmaceuticals to eliminate the risk of introducing unknown factors into the production process.
Serum-Free Media Market Trends:
The widespread prevalence of infectious and chronic diseases is primarily driving the global serum-free media market growth. Besides this, the increasing product utilization in biomanufacturing processes, as they can produce high-quality products and numerous other advantages, such as reduced costs, improved safety, and enhanced performance, is creating a positive outlook for the market. Moreover, the growing demand for immunotherapy to treat various diseases and conditions and the emerging adoption of regenerative medicine to repair damaged tissues and organs are presenting remunerative growth opportunities for the market. Concurrent with this, the escalating demand for personalized medicine to provide targeted treatments tailored to the individual patient’s needs is acting as another growth-inducing factor. In addition to this, innovative technological advancements have led to the development of more efficient and cost-effective production techniques for serum-free media, resulting in the increased availability of these media at lower costs, which, in turn, is contributing to the market growth. In line with this, the growing number of collaborations and extensive research and development (R&D) activities in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries to engineer new drugs and treatments are fuelling the demand for serum-free media. Furthermore, the bolstering expansion of the healthcare sector, the rising geriatric population, the surging number of clinical trials, significant advancements in stem cell research, and the increasing popularity of in vitro diagnostics are aiding in market expansion.
Key Market Segmentation:
IMARC Group provides an analysis of the key trends in each segment of the global serum-free media market report, along with forecasts at the global levels for 2023-2028. Our report has categorized the market based on media type and end uses.
Media Type Insights:
- CHO Cell Culture
- Protein Expression Media
- Immunology Media
- Insect Cell Media
- Hybridoma Media
- Stem Cell Media
The report has provided a detailed breakup and analysis of the serum-free media market based on the media type. This includes CHO cell culture, protein expression media, immunology media, insect cell media, hybridoma media, stem cell media, and others. According to the report, CHO cell culture represented the largest segment.
End Uses Insights:
- Biopharmaceutical Companies
- Clinical Research Organisations
- Academic Research Centres
A detailed breakup and analysis of the serum-free media market based on the end uses has also been provided in the report. This includes biopharmaceutical companies, clinical research organisations, academic research centres, and others. According to the report, biopharmaceutical companies accounted for the largest market share.
- North America
- United Kingdom
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The report has also provided a comprehensive analysis of all the major regional markets, which include North America (the United States and Canada); Europe (Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, and others); Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, and others); Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and others); and the Middle East and Africa. According to the report, North America was the largest market for serum-free media. Some of the factors driving the North America serum-free media market included the growing prevalence of life-threatening diseases, rising demand for regenerative and personalized medicines, and the increasing product utilization in biomanufacturing processes.
The report has also provided a comprehensive analysis of the competitive landscape in the global serum-free media market. Competitive analysis such as market structure, market share by key players, player positioning, top winning strategies, competitive dashboard, and company evaluation quadrant has been covered in the report. Also, detailed profiles of all major companies have been provided. Some of the companies covered include Athena Environmental Sciences Inc., Corning Incorporated, FUJIFILM Irvine Scientific Inc. (FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation), Himedia Laboratories Private Limited, Lonza Group AG, Merck KGaA, MP Biomedicals (Valiant Co. Ltd.), PAN-Biotech GmbH, PromoCell GmbH, Sino Biological Inc., STEMCELL Technologies Inc., Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., etc. Kindly note that this only represents a partial list of companies, and the complete list has been provided in the report.
Serum-Free Media Market Report Scope:
|Base Year of the Analysis
| Historical Period
|Scope of the Report
||Exploration of Historical and Forecast Trends, Industry Catalysts and Challenges, Segment-Wise Historical and Predictive Market Assessment:
- Media Type
- End Uses
|Media Types Covered
||CHO Cell Culture, Protein Expression Media, Immunology Media, Insect Cell Media, Hybridoma Media, Stem Cell Media, Others
|End Uses Covered
||Biopharmaceutical Companies, Clinical Research Organisations, Academic Research Centres, Others
||Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East and Africa
||United States, Canada, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico
||Athena Environmental Sciences Inc., Corning Incorporated, FUJIFILM Irvine Scientific Inc. (FUJIFILM Holdings Corporation), Himedia Laboratories Private Limited, Lonza Group AG, Merck KGaA, MP Biomedicals (Valiant Co. Ltd.), PAN-Biotech GmbH, PromoCell GmbH, Sino Biological Inc., STEMCELL Technologies Inc., Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., etc.
||10% Free Customization
|Report Price and Purchase Option
||Single User License: US$ 2499
Five User License: US$ 3499
Corporate License: US$ 4499
|Post-Sale Analyst Support
||PDF and Excel through Email (We can also provide the editable version of the report in PPT/Word format on special request)
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the global serum-free media market performed so far, and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the global serum-free media market?
- What is the impact of each driver, restraint, and opportunity on the global serum-free media market?
- What are the key regional markets?
- Which countries represent the most attractive serum-free media market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the media type?
- Which is the most attractive media type in the serum-free media market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the end uses?
- Which is the most attractive end use in the serum-free media market?
- What is the competitive structure of the global serum-free media market?
- Who are the key players/companies in the global serum-free media market?
Key Benefits for Stakeholders:
- IMARC’s report offers a comprehensive quantitative analysis of various market segments, historical and current market trends, market forecasts, and dynamics of the serum-free media market from 2017-2028.
- The research study provides the latest information on the market drivers, challenges, and opportunities in the global serum-free media market.
- The study maps the leading, as well as the fastest-growing, regional markets. It further enables stakeholders to identify the key country-level markets within each region.
- Porter's five forces analysis assist stakeholders in assessing the impact of new entrants, competitive rivalry, supplier power, buyer power, and the threat of substitution. It helps stakeholders to analyze the level of competition within the serum-free media industry and its attractiveness.
- Competitive landscape allows stakeholders to understand their competitive environment and provides an insight into the current positions of key players in the market.