According to IMARC Group, the global active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) market reached a value of US$ 200.6 Billion in 2020. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the global active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) market to exhibit moderate growth during 2021-2026. Active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) refer to the components that are biologically active within the drug and are responsible for the desired effect on the individuals. These ingredients are manufactured through a variety of processes, including chemical synthesis, recombinant DNA, fermentation processes, and isolation and recovery from natural sources. With the rapid expiration of patented blockbuster drugs, there has been a rise in the demand for generic APIs worldwide.
Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) Companies:
- Pfizer, Inc
- Novartis International AG
- Boehringer Ingelheim
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Eli Lilly and Company
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- AbbVie Inc
Nowadays, several pharmaceutical companies are outsourcing API manufacturing to increase production, as well as introduce APIs which are more effective and cost-efficient to ensure their global access. Owing to this, several manufacturers are producing more effective APIs that can treat diseases beyond the scope of small molecule drugs. Other than this, with the rising healthcare expenditure, governments of several second wave countries are encouraging domestic production of APIs by offering incentives to manufacturers.
Download your Global Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients Market Report Sample for FREE!: https://www.imarcgroup.com/active-pharmaceutical-ingredients-market/requestsample
Top Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients Manufacturers in the World:
Pfizer Inc., founded in 1849, discovers, develops, manufactures and sells healthcare products around the world. It provides medicines and vaccines in different therapeutic areas such as
- Internal medicine
- Inflammation and Immunology and rare diseases under the Lyrica
- Refacto AF/Xyntha Brands
Novartis International AG
Novartis International AG, headquartered in Switzerland, provides patented prescription medicines to patients. Besides this, the company also provides established medicine products such as:
- Respiratory and cardio-metabolic ailments
The company’s Sandoz segment offers active ingredients and finished dosage forms of pharmaceuticals in cardiovascular, central nervous system, dermatology, gastrointestinal and hormonal therapy, metabolism, oncology, ophthalmic, pain, and respiratory areas.
Sanofi, established in 1973 with headquarters in France, offers therapeutic solutions across the globe. It was formerly known as Sanofi-Aventis and changed its name to Sanofi in May 2011. The company provides:
- Cerezyme and Cerdelga for Gaucher disease
- Myozyme and Lumizyme for Pompe disease
- Fabrazyme for Fabry disease
- Aldurazyme for mucopolysaccharidosis Type 1; and Aubagio
- An immunomodulatory and Lemtrada
- Monoclonal Antibody to Treat Multiple Sclerosis
It also offers Dupixent for atopic dermatitis; Kevzara for rheumatoid arthritis; Eloctate and Alprolix to treat hemophilia in adults and children; and Cablivi to treat acquired thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura in adults. The company also provides:
- Generic Products
- Consumer Healthcare Products for Allergy
- Digestion and others
- Adult and Adolescent Booster
- Travel, and Endemic Vaccines
Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH, founded in 1973, researches, develops, manufactures, and markets human and veterinary pharmaceutical products internationally. The company was formerly known as Boehringer Ingelheim Zentrale GmbH and changed its name to Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH in 1989. It provides prescription medicines in the areas of such as:
- Central Nervous System and Virology Aspects
- Consumer Healthcare Products
- Biopharmaceuticals and Animal Health Products
- Biologicals and Natural Care Products for Swine
- Companion Animals
Bristol-Myers Squibb, headquartered in New York, discovers, develops, licenses, manufactures, markets, distributes and sells biopharmaceutical products worldwide. It provides medication for oncology, and cardiovascular and fibrotic diseases. Some of the company’s products are:
- A Biological Product for Anti-Cancer Indications
- An Oral Inhibitor targeted at Stroke Prevention in Adult Patients with Non-Valvular Atrial Fibrillation
- The Prevention and Treatment of Venous Thromboembolic Disorders and Orencia
- A biological Product for Adult Patients with Moderately to Severely Active RA and Prostate-Specific Antigen and Minimizing Signs
- Symptoms in Certain Pediatric Patients with Moderately to Severely Active Polyarticular Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited is one of the leading pharmaceutical companies that develops, manufactures, markets and distributes generic medicines and a portfolio of specialty medicines around the world. It operates through two segments, which include generic and specialty medicines. The generic medicines segment provides:
- Sterile Products
- High-Potency Drugs and Cytotoxic Substances in Several Dosage Forms such as
Eli Lilly and Company
Eli Lilly and Company, founded in 1876, discovers, develops, manufactures and markets pharmaceutical products across the globe. The company is headquartered in Indiana, United States and operates in two segments, which include human pharmaceutical products and animal health products. It provides products for the treatment of diabetes; osteoporosis in postmenopausal women and men; and human growth hormone deficiency and pediatric growth conditions.
GlaxoSmithKline plc, founded in 1715, researches, discovers, develops, manufactures and markets pharmaceutical products, vaccines, over-the-counter medicines and health-related consumer products internationally. The company is headquartered in the United Kingdom and operates through four segments, which include pharmaceuticals, pharmaceuticals R&D, vaccines and consumer healthcare. Additionally, it offers pharmaceutical products that comprise medicines in therapeutic areas such as:
- Central Nervous System
- Cardiovascular and Urogenital
Merck & Co., Inc.
Merck & Co., Inc., established in 1891, offers healthcare solutions worldwide. It is headquartered in New Jersey and operates through four segments, which include:
The company offers therapeutic as well as preventive agents for treating insomnia, fungal infection, cardiovascular, type 2 diabetes, chronic hepatitis C virus, HIV-1 infection, intra-abdominal and inflammatory diseases.
AbbVie Inc., headquartered in Illinois, discovers, develops, manufactures and sells pharmaceutical products around the world. The company provides HUMIRA which is a therapy administered as an injection for:
- Autoimmune and Intestinal Behçet's Diseases; IMBRUVICA which is Employed for Treating Adult Patients with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL)
- Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma (SLL)
- Mantle Cell Lymphoma
- Waldenström’s Macroglobulinemia
- Marginal Zone Lymphoma
- Chronic Graft Versus Host Disease
Chronic Graft Versus Host Disease; VENCLEXTA, a BCL-2 inhibitor which is used for treating adults with CLL or SLL; VIEKIRA PAK, an interferon-free therapy to treat adults with genotype 1 chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV); TECHNIVIE to treat adults with genotype 4 HCV infection; and MAVYRET to treat patients with chronic HCV genotype 1-6 infection.