The global wound care market size reached US$ 21.0 Billion in 2022. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 28.3 Billion by 2028, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 5.01% during 2023-2028. The increasing prevalence of chronic wounds and ulcers, rising aging population with higher susceptibility to wounds and injuries, and numerous advancements in wound care technologies and therapies are some of the major factors propelling the market.
|Market Size in 2022
||US$ 21.0 Billion
|Market Forecast in 2028
||US$ 28.3 Billion
|Market Growth Rate (2023-2028)
Wound care refers to the medical treatment and management of injuries or wounds, whether they are acute (resulting from sudden events like accidents or surgery) or chronic (persisting over an extended period). The primary goals of wound care are to promote healing, prevent infection, and minimize complications. It involves a range of techniques and interventions, including cleaning and disinfecting wounds, applying dressings or bandages, debridement (removal of dead tissue), and the use of specialized wound care products. As a result, wound care is widely used in various healthcare settings, from hospitals and clinics to home care, as untreated wounds can lead to infections, impaired function, and even serious health issues.
The rising incidence of non-healing wounds due to the increasing prevalence of chronic diseases such as diabetes and obesity will stimulate the growth of the wound care market during the forecast period. Moreover, the aging population which is more susceptible to chronic wounds and pressure ulcers, is propelling market growth. Additionally, numerous technological advancements in wound care products, including the development of advanced dressings, negative pressure wound therapy, and bioactive wound care materials, have accelerated the product adoption rate. Moreover, the heightened awareness about the importance of early wound management and infection prevention and a focus on reducing hospital-acquired infections have catalyzed market growth. Furthermore, the increasing significance of wound care amid the COVID-19 pandemic for managing complications from prolonged hospitalization and ventilator usage, has augmented the demand for effective wound care solutions, thereby contributing to market growth.
Wound Care Market Trends/Drivers:
Increasing aging population
Due to the shifting global demographic landscape, with a larger proportion of individuals entering their senior years, there has been a rise in the prevalence of chronic health conditions. Many elderly individuals suffer from conditions like diabetes, peripheral vascular diseases, and reduced mobility, which increase their susceptibility to chronic wounds and pressure ulcers. These wounds can lead to serious complications and prolonged hospital stays if left untreated. As a result, healthcare systems are under pressure to provide effective wound care solutions to manage these conditions. This demographic trend has fueled the demand for advanced wound care products, including specialized dressings, negative pressure wound therapy, and wound care devices, to improve healing outcomes and enhance the quality of life for the elderly.
Rapid technological advancements
Numerous technological advancements in wound care have revolutionized the treatment of wounds. Advanced wound dressings, such as hydrocolloids, foams, and alginate dressings, have been developed to provide optimal moisture balance, prevent infections, and promote tissue regeneration. Apart from this, negative pressure wound therapy (NPWT) has emerged as a game-changer, facilitating the removal of excess exudate and promoting wound closure. Bioactive wound care materials, including growth factors and tissue-engineered products, have shown promise in enhancing the healing process. These innovations empower healthcare providers with effective tools to manage complex wounds, reduce healing times, and improve patient comfort, thereby propelling market growth.
Growing awareness of wound management
Increasing awareness of the importance of proper wound management has significantly impacted the wound care market. Healthcare professionals, patients, and caregivers have recognized the critical role of early wound assessment and appropriate care in preventing complications and optimizing outcomes. Awareness campaigns and education initiatives have highlighted the significance of timely intervention, which has led to more proactive wound care practices. Infection prevention has gained attention, owing to its crucial role in wound healing. Healthcare providers are increasingly adopting evidence-based wound care practices and staying informed about the latest developments in the field. This heightened awareness has fueled the adoption of advanced wound care solutions and therapies, ultimately improved patient care and reducing the economic burden associated with chronic wounds.
Wound Care Industry Segmentation:
IMARC Group provides an analysis of the key trends in each segment of the global wound care market, along with forecasts at the global, regional, and country levels for 2023-2028. Our report has categorized the market based on product type, wound type, and end-user.
Breakup by Product Type:
- Advance Wound Care Products
- Foam Dressing
- Hydrocolloid Dressing
- Film Dressing
- Alginate Dressing
- Hydrogel Dressing
- Collagen Dressing
- Surgical Wound Care Products
- Tissue Adhesive, Sealants & Hemostats
- Anti-effective Dressing
- Traditional Wound Care Products
- Medical Tapes
- Cleasning Agent
- Active Wound Care Products
- Biological Skin Substitutes
- Topical Agents
- Wound Therapy Devices Products
- Negative Pressure Wound Therapy
- Oxygen and Hyperbaric Oxygen Equipment
- Electric Stimulation Devices
- Pressure Relief Devices
- Wound Assessment & Monitoring Devices
The report has provided a detailed breakup and analysis of the market based on the product type. This includes advance wound care products (foam dressing, hydrocolloid dressing, film dressing, alginate dressing, hydrogel dressing, collagen dressing, and others), surgical wound care products (sutures, staplers, tissue adhesive, sealants & hemostats, and anti-infective dressing), traditional wound care products (medical tapes and cleansing agent), active wound care products (biological skin substitutes and topical agents) and wound therapy devices (negative pressure wound therapy, oxygen and hyperbaric oxygen equipment, electric stimulation devices, pressure relief devices, wound assessment & monitoring devices, and others).
Advanced wound care products, including innovative dressings with features like real-time monitoring and antimicrobial properties, are offering more effective and patient-tailored solutions. Surgical wound care products cater to post-operative care, addressing a significant segment of wounds. Traditional wound care products maintain relevance for specific wound types and serve as foundational treatments. Active wound care products, utilizing growth factors and stem cell-based therapies, accelerate wound healing and tissue regeneration, revolutionizing care for complex wounds.
Moreover, wound therapy devices, such as negative pressure wound therapy (NPWT) and digital wound assessment tools, enhance treatment efficiency and patient outcomes. These diverse categories collectively contribute to the dynamic growth of the wound care market, meeting the evolving needs of healthcare providers and patients while driving innovation and improving wound management outcomes.
Breakup by Wound Type:
- Chronic Wounds
- Diabetics Ulcers
- Pressure Ulcers
- Venous Leg Ulcers
- Acute Wounds
- Surgical Traumatic Wounds
Chronic wounds account for the majority of the market share
A detailed breakup and analysis of the market based on the wound type has also been provided in the report. This includes chronic wounds (diabetic ulcers, pressure ulcers, venous leg ulcers, and others) and acute wounds (surgical traumatic wounds and burns). According to the report, chronic wounds represented the largest segment.
Chronic wounds are persistent injuries that do not follow the typical healing process and remain open or unhealed for an extended duration, often exceeding three months. These wounds commonly include diabetic ulcers, pressure ulcers, and venous leg ulcers. They are a significant driver of the wound care market due to their high prevalence, especially among aging populations and individuals with underlying health conditions. Chronic wounds pose serious healthcare challenges, including the risk of infection, impaired mobility, and decreased quality of life. As a result, there is a growing demand for advanced wound care products and therapies tailored to address the complexities of chronic wounds. Innovations in dressings, growth factor therapies, and wound therapy devices are continually improving treatment outcomes, reducing healing times, and supporting the market growth due to the escalating need for effective solutions for chronic wound management.
Breakup by End User:
- Hospitals & Clinics
- Long-Term Care Facilites
- Home Care Setting
Hospitals & clinics hold the largest share in the market
A detailed breakup and analysis of the market based on the end user has also been provided in the report. This includes hospitals & clinics, long-term care facilities, home care setting, and others. According to the report, hospitals & clinics accounted for the largest market share.
Hospitals, as primary hubs for acute and specialized medical care, frequently encounter a wide range of wound types, including surgical wounds, traumatic injuries, and complex chronic wounds. Clinics, including wound care centers, offer specialized expertise in managing various wounds, particularly chronic ulcers and non-healing injuries. Both settings are essential drivers of the wound care market owing to their consistent need for advanced wound care products, including dressings, negative pressure wound therapy (NPWT) systems, and wound therapy devices. Additionally, they serve as hubs for wound assessment and treatment, making them critical for the adoption of innovative wound care technologies and therapies. The expanding patient population seeking wound care services in hospitals and clinics underlines the importance of these healthcare settings in fueling market growth as they address the rising demand for effective wound management solutions.
Breakup by Region:
- North America
- United Kingdom
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
North America exhibits a clear dominance in the market
The report has also provided a comprehensive analysis of all the major regional markets that include North America (the United States and Canada); Europe (Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, and others); Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, and others); Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and others); and Middle East and Africa. According to the report, North America holds the largest market share.
North America held the biggest share in the market since the region has a substantial aging population that leads to a higher prevalence of chronic conditions such as diabetes and vascular diseases, which are major contributors to chronic wounds. Moreover, North America boasts a well-developed healthcare infrastructure, including hospitals, clinics, and wound care centers, which actively adopt advanced wound care products and therapies. Apart from this, the region's strong emphasis on research and development (R&D) has led to the continuous innovation of wound care solutions, resulting in cutting-edge products and treatment modalities. Moreover, the increasing awareness among healthcare providers and patients regarding the importance of early wound management and infection prevention has fueled the demand for sophisticated wound care products.
Additionally, favorable reimbursement policies in the United States and Canada have promoted the use of advanced wound care products. Furthermore, a proactive approach to wound care, particularly in the prevention of pressure ulcers and diabetic foot ulcers, is gaining prominence in the region, further driving market growth in North America.
The market is experiencing steady growth as key players are making numerous innovations to address evolving healthcare needs. Recent innovations include advanced wound dressings with real-time monitoring capabilities, offering a personalized approach to wound management. These smart dressings, championed by key industry leaders, enable healthcare providers to make data-driven decisions for optimal patient care. Additionally, the integration of antimicrobial agents into dressings, a strategy embraced by major players, contributes to infection prevention and minimizes complications. Innovations in negative pressure wound therapy (NPWT), led by industry giants, have resulted in portable and wearable NPWT devices, enhancing patient comfort and mobility. The utilization of growth factors and stem cell-based therapies is another frontier where key players are pioneering regenerative medicine, expediting wound healing and tissue regeneration. Moreover, digital wound assessment tools and telemedicine solutions from industry leaders enable remote monitoring and consultations, revolutionizing patient care and cost-efficiency in this dynamic healthcare sector.
The market research report has provided a comprehensive analysis of the competitive landscape in the market. Detailed profiles of all major companies have also been provided. Some of the key players in the market include:
- Baxter International Inc.
- B. Braun Melsungen Aktiengesellschaft
- Cardinal Health, Inc.
- Coloplast A/S
- ConvaTec Group PLC
- Johnson & Johnson
- Medtronic Public Limited Company
- Mölnlycke Health Care AB
- Paul Hartmann AG
- Smith & Nephew PLC
- 3M Company
- In June 2023, Baxter International Inc. introduced the Progressa+ Next Gen ICIJ Bed, a cutting-edge solution designed to meet the complex and critical care requirements of patients. This innovative bed takes into account the comprehensive needs of critical care patients, including those requiring specialized wound care. The Progressa+ Next Gen ICIJ Bed represents a significant advancement in patient care technology, offering features and functionalities that cater to the specific challenges and demands faced by critically ill individuals. Baxter's commitment to addressing the holistic care of patients is evident through this launch, as wound care is a crucial aspect of overall healthcare management, especially for patients with critical conditions.
- In December 2022, Smith & Nephew PLC, a renowned global medical technology company, announced its acquisition of Osiris Therapeutics, Inc., a leading biotechnology firm with a specialization in regenerative medicine products designed specifically for wound care applications. This acquisition, completed with a vision for the future of advanced wound management, marks a significant milestone in Smith & Nephew's expansion strategy. It is widely recognized for its innovative regenerative medicine solutions, particularly its groundbreaking products designed to address complex wounds, diabetic foot ulcers, and other challenging wound care cases. These regenerative therapies harness the power of bioactive materials and growth factors to accelerate tissue repair and promote the natural healing process.
Wound Care Market Report Scope:
|Base Year of the Analysis
|Scope of the Report
||Exploration of Historical Trends and Market Outlook, Industry Catalysts and Challenges, Segment-Wise Historical and Predictive Market Assessment:
- Product Type
- Wound Type
- End User
|Product Types Covered
- Advance Wound Care Products: Foam Dressing, Hydrocolloid Dressing, Film Dressing, Alginate Dressing, Hydrogel Dressing, Collagen Dressing, Others
- Surgical Wound Care Products: Sutures, Staplers, Tissue Adhesive, Sealants & Hemostats, Anti-effective Dressing
- Traditional Wound Care Products: Medical Tapes, Cleansing Agent
- Active Wound Care Products: Biological Skin Substitutes, Topical Agents
- Wound Therapy Devices Products: Negative Pressure Wound Therapy, Oxygen and Hyperbaric Oxygen Equipment, Electric Stimulation Devices, Pressure Relief Devices, Wound Assessment & Monitoring Devices, Others
|Wound Types Covered
- Chronic Wounds: Diabetics Ulcers, Pressure Ulcers, Venous Leg Ulcers, Others
- Acute Wounds: Surgical Traumatic Wounds, Burns
|End Users Covered
||Hospitals & Clinics, Long-Term Care Facilities, Home Care Setting, Others
|| Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East and Africa
||United States, Canada, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico
||Baxter International Inc., B. Braun Melsungen Aktiengesellschaft, Cardinal Health, Inc., Coloplast A/S, ConvaTec Group PLC, Johnson & Johnson, Medtronic Public Limited Company, Mölnlycke Health Care AB, Paul Hartmann AG, Smith & Nephew PLC, 3M Company, etc.
||10% Free Customization
|Report Price and Purchase Option
||Single User License: US$ 5499
Five User License: US$ 6999
Corporate License: US$ 8499
|Post-Sale Analyst Support
||PDF and Excel through Email (We can also provide the editable version of the report in PPT/Word format on special request)
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the global wound care market performed so far, and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the global wound care market?
- What is the impact of each driver, restraint, and opportunity on the global wound care market?
- What are the key regional markets?
- Which countries represent the most attractive wound care market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the product type?
- Which is the most attractive product type in the wound care market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the wound type?
- Which is the most attractive wound type in the wound care market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the end user?
- Which is the most attractive end user in the wound care market?
- What is the competitive structure of the global wound care market?
- Who are the key players/companies in the global wound care market?
Key Benefits for Stakeholders:
- IMARC’s industry report offers a comprehensive quantitative analysis of various market segments, historical and current market trends, market forecasts, and dynamics of the wound care market from 2017-2028.
- The research report provides the latest information on the market drivers, challenges, and opportunities in the global wound care market.
- The study maps the leading, as well as the fastest-growing, regional markets. It further enables stakeholders to identify the key country-level markets within each region.
- Porter's five forces analysis assist stakeholders in assessing the impact of new entrants, competitive rivalry, supplier power, buyer power, and the threat of substitution. It helps stakeholders to analyze the level of competition within the wound care industry and its attractiveness.
- Competitive landscape allows stakeholders to understand their competitive environment and provides an insight into the current positions of key players in the market.