The global starch-based bioplastics market size reached US$ 1.61 Billion in 2022. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the market to reach US$ 2.78 Billion by 2028, exhibiting a growth rate (CAGR) of 9.12% during 2023-2028. The significant growth in the food and beverage (F&B) industry, rising expenditure capacities of consumers, and extensive research and development (R&D) activities represent some of the key factors driving the market.
Starch-based bioplastics are a type of biodegradable plastic commonly used for packaging applications. These bioplastics are produced by combining starch with other biodegradable polymers, such as polylactic acid (PLA) or polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHA). They are extracted from various sources and then processed into a thermoplastic material that can be molded into various shapes using conventional plastic processing techniques such as extrusion, injection, and blow molding. As compared to traditional petroleum-based plastics, starch-based bioplastics are biodegradable and compostable, and environmentally friendly as they are made from renewable resources. They also are water-sensitive, have high water vapor permeability, and generally provide films with mechanical properties. As a result, they find extensive applications across the packaging, textile, consumer goods, agriculture, automotive, building and construction, and electronics industries.
Starch-based Bioplastics Market Trends:
The significant growth in the food and beverage (F&B) industry across the globe is one of the key factors creating a positive outlook for the market. Starch-based bioplastics are widely used for food packaging due to their enhanced tensile strength. In line with this, brand owners are opting for sustainable and eco-friendly options for food packaging, which in turn is favoring the market growth. Moreover, the rising environmental concerns regarding the negative environmental impact of traditional petroleum-based plastics are acting as another growth-inducing factor. Apart from this, the introduction of advanced starch-based bioplastics that exhibit better performance and properties, such as improved strength, flexibility, and heat resistance, is providing an impetus to the market growth. Additionally, the increasing product demand in the agriculture industry attributed to their water permeability and heat preservation properties is propelling the market growth. Furthermore, key players are focusing on the development of sustainable packaging solutions by making use of crops rich in starch, such as sugarcane and corn, to produce biodegradable bioplastic packaging, which in turn is positively influencing the market growth. Other factors, including the widespread product adoption in the textile industry, extensive research and development (R&D) activities, rising expenditure capacities of consumers, widespread product adoption due to its numerous advantages, increasing product application in the automotive industry, and the implementation of various government initiatives to reduce the use of single-use plastics and promote sustainable alternatives are anticipated to drive the market growth.
Key Market Segmentation:
IMARC Group provides an analysis of the key trends in each segment of the global starch-based bioplastics market, along with forecasts at the global, regional, and country levels from 2023-2028. Our report has categorized the market based on type, technology, and application.
- Starch Blended with PLA
- Starch Blended with PHA
The report has provided a detailed breakup and analysis of the starch-based bioplastics market based on the type. This includes starch blended with PLA, starch blended with PHA, and others. According to the report, starch blended polylactic acid (PLA) represented the largest segment.
- Injection Molding
- Blow Molding
A detailed breakup and analysis of the starch-based bioplastics market based on the technology has also been provided in the report. This includes injection molding, blow molding, extrusion, and others. According to the report, injection molding accounted for the largest market share.
- Rigid Packaging
- Flexible Packaging
- Consumer Goods
- Building and Construction
The report has provided a detailed breakup and analysis of the starch-based bioplastics market based on the application. This includes rigid packaging, flexible packaging, textile, consumer goods, agriculture, automotive, building and construction, electronics, and others. According to the report, rigid packaging represented the largest segment.
- North America
- United Kingdom
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
The report has also provided a comprehensive analysis of all the major regional markets, which include North America (the United States and Canada); Europe (Germany, France, the United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, and others); Asia Pacific (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, and others); Latin America (Brazil, Mexico, and others); and the Middle East and Africa. According to the report, Asia Pacific was the largest market for starch-based bioplastics. Some of the factors driving the Asia Pacific starch-based bioplastics market included extensive research and development (R&D) activities, widespread product adoption in the textile industry, and the implementation of various government initiatives.
The report has also provided a comprehensive analysis of the competitive landscape in the global starch-based bioplastics market. Detailed profiles of all major companies have also been provided. Some of the companies covered include BASF SE, Biome Bioplastics Limited (Biome Technologies plc), Corbion N.V., NatureWorks LLC, Novamont S.p.A., etc. Kindly note that this only represents a partial list of companies, and the complete list has been provided in the report.
|Base Year of the Analysis
||Starch Blended with PLA, Starch Blended with PHA, Others
||Injection Molding, Blow Molding, Extrusion, Others
||Rigid Packaging, Flexible Packaging, Textile, Consumer Goods, Agriculture, Automotive, Building and Construction, Electronics, Others
|| Asia Pacific, Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East and Africa
||United States, Canada, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Italy, Spain, Russia, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico
||BASF SE, Biome Bioplastics Limited (Biome Technologies plc), Corbion N.V., NatureWorks LLC, Novamont S.p.A., etc.
||10% Free Customization
|Report Price and Purchase Option
||Single User License: US$ 2499
Five User License: US$ 3499
Corporate License: US$ 4499
|Post-Sale Analyst Support
||PDF and Excel through Email (We can also provide the editable version of the report in PPT/Word format on special request)
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the global starch-based bioplastics market performed so far, and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the drivers, restraints, and opportunities in the global starch-based bioplastics market?
- What is the impact of each driver, restraint, and opportunity on the global starch-based bioplastics market?
- What are the key regional markets?
- Which countries represent the most attractive starch-based bioplastics market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the type?
- Which is the most attractive type in the starch-based bioplastics market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on technology?
- Which is the most attractive technology in the starch-based bioplastics market?
- What is the breakup of the market based on the application?
- Which is the most attractive application in the starch-based bioplastics market?
- What is the competitive structure of the global starch-based bioplastics market?
- Who are the key players/companies in the global starch-based bioplastics market?
Key Benefits for Stakeholders:
- IMARC’s report offers a comprehensive quantitative analysis of various market segments, historical and current market trends, market forecasts, and dynamics of the starch-based bioplastics market from 2017-2028.
- The research study provides the latest information on the market drivers, challenges, and opportunities in the global starch-based bioplastics market.
- The study maps the leading, as well as the fastest-growing, regional markets. It further enables stakeholders to identify the key country-level markets within each region.
- Porter's five forces analysis assist stakeholders in assessing the impact of new entrants, competitive rivalry, supplier power, buyer power, and the threat of substitution. It helps stakeholders to analyze the level of competition within the starch-based bioplastics industry and its attractiveness.
- Competitive landscape allows stakeholders to understand their competitive environment and provides an insight into the current positions of key players in the market.