The diaper market in India reached a value of US$ 1.25 Billion in 2020. A diaper is a type of underwear that allows the wearer to urinate or defecate without the use of a toilet. It absorbs or contains the waste and prevents soiling of the external clothing or environment. Diapers are primarily worn by infants, toddlers and children who are not toilet trained or who experience bedwetting. They are also used by adults with incontinence problems or in circumstances where a toilet is unavailable. In India, diapers were introduced during the late 20th century. Rapidly expanding infant population and increasing participation of women in the workforce have been the major growth-inducing factors for the diaper market in the region. Looking forward, IMARC Group expects the diaper market in India to exhibit moderate growth during 2021-2026.
Drivers of Diaper Market in India:
- Demand for diapers is growing steadily across India on account of their benefits such as convenience, increased hygiene and low risk of skin damage. Moreover, increasing awareness of personal hygiene, changing lifestyle and a continuous rise in the purchasing power of the consumers in India have created a shift from traditional cloth nappies to diapers.
- Obesity, urinary tract infection, functional/cognitive impairment, chronic coughs, and constipation are some of the main causes of incontinence observed in both men and women. With the growing aging population, high prevalence of urinary incontinence has been witnessed which has subsequently led to an increase in the use of adult diapers.
- Some brands are enhancing their product offerings so as to attract a larger consumer-base. For instance, manufacturers are introducing diapers with an inner lining containing aloe vera gel, vitamin E, and other skin-friendly compounds often found in diaper rash creams to avoid rashes on the skin.
- The infant mortality rate has significantly declined in the country due to advancing healthcare facilities. This has led to an increase in the number of infants, thereby creating immense growth opportunities in the diaper industry. In addition, improving economic conditions coupled with rising number of modern nuclear families with working parents has led to the adoption of disposable diapers.
- The emergence of disposable biodegradable diapers is further influencing the Indian diaper market as they are eco-friendly in nature and prevent environmental contamination. Besides this, rising online sales coupled with rapid urbanization are some of the other factors anticipated to foster the market growth.
Breakup by Product Type:
On the basis of types, baby disposable diapers account for around two-thirds of the total market share. Disposable diapers are convenient to use and provide great absorption without harming the baby’s skin. They are followed by baby training diapers, baby cloth diapers, baby swim pants, adult pad type diapers, adult flat type diapers and adult pant type diapers.
On a geographical front, the market has been categorized into Maharashtra, Delhi NCR, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Gujarat and Others. Amongst these, Maharashtra currently represents the leading market for diapers in India, holding the majority of the market share.
The Indian diaper market is highly concentrated with Procter & Gamble as the dominant player. The other players operating in the market include Kimberly Clark and Unicharm.
This report provides a deep insight into the Indian diaper industry covering all its essential aspects. This ranges from macro overview of the market to micro details of the industry performance, recent trends, key market drivers and challenges, SWOT analysis, Porter’s five forces analysis, value chain analysis, etc. The report also provides a comprehensive analysis for setting up a diaper manufacturing plant. The study analyses the processing and manufacturing requirements, project cost, project funding, project economics, expected returns on investment, profit margins, etc. This report is a must-read for entrepreneurs, investors, researchers, consultants, business strategists, and all those who have any kind of stake or are planning to foray into the Indian diaper industry in any manner.
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
- How has the Indian diaper market performed so far and how will it perform in the coming years?
- What are the key regions in the Indian diaper market?
- What has been the impact of COVID 19 on the Indian diaper market?
- What are the major product types in the Indian diaper market?
- What are the key distribution channels in the Indian diaper market?
- What are the price trends of diapers?
- What are the various stages in the value chain of the Indian diaper market?
- What are the key driving factors and challenges in the Indian diaper market?
- What is the structure of the Indian diaper industry and who are the key players?
- What is the degree of competition in the Indian diaper market?
- What are the profit margins in the Indian diaper market?
- What are the key requirements for setting up an Indian diaper manufacturing plant?
- How are diapers manufactured?
- What are the various unit operations involved in a diaper manufacturing plant?
- What is the total size of land required for setting up a diaper manufacturing plant?
- What are the machinery requirements for setting up a diaper manufacturing plant?
- What are the raw material requirements for setting up a diaper manufacturing plant?
- What are the packaging requirements for diapers?
- What are the transportation requirements for diapers?
- What are the utility requirements for setting up a diaper manufacturing plant?
- What are the manpower requirements for setting up a diaper manufacturing plant?
- What are the infrastructure costs for setting up a diaper manufacturing plant?
- What are the capital costs for setting up a diaper manufacturing plant?
- What are the operating costs for setting up a diaper manufacturing plant?
- What will be the income and expenditures for a diaper manufacturing plant?
- What is the time required to break-even?